Wednesday, January 24, 2007


I have been hesitant to post about Adrienne Shelly since I started this blog. I'm still in a bit of shock over her tragic and senseless murder a few months ago and haven't felt I could write anything to do justice to this exceptional person. I can't imagine anyone, who's into film, who might have come of age in the 80s and 90s not loving her. I will post at a later date about her work, specifically her first directorial effort, the sublimely quirky Sudden Manhattan.
I did want to point out to anyone who might not have heard the story that Adrienne's final film Waitress had its premiere at Sundance this week and the reaction has been extraordinary. It has already been picked up for distribution by Fox-Searchlight and will be released later this year.
Below is a link to an early review of it and also the link to the Adrienne Shelly foundation that her husband recently started to help young female filmmakers.
Check them out. If you haven't seen any of Adrienne's work search out her films with Hal Hartley, Trust and The Unbelievable Truth, or her own projects like Sudden Manhattan and I'll Take You There. If you are like me and had such a great admiration and love for this woman, take a moment and remember her.
Keep on the look out for Waitress and support it by seeing it in a theater later this year.

No comments: