Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Bloody Award Shows.

I must crave frustration, that's the only reason I can think of each year when I am watching an awards show. It's hard to complain too much about this years Golden Globes show though. The Warren Beatty tribute was nice, although leaving out Mccabe and Ms Miller as one of his major films was an incredible oversite. It's also hard to argue with a show that manages to give both Scorsese and Eastwood awards on the same night.
I knew going in that none of my favorite films from the past year were nominated and I admired some they did like Babel. Still watching Meryl Streep win another award was a bit grating. I love the woman but does anyone need to see her win any more awards? There are actually other incredibly talented actresses who go unnoticed each year. Seriously they should just make a special Meryl Streep category, 'And The Best Meryl Streep Performance of the Year is'.
The years biggest omission to me, and the one that soured the whole show, was Gretchen Mol's incredible performance as Bettie Page. There wasn't a better performance given this past year and it's amazing to me that it's gone so unnoticed. Oh well, great work lasts with or without awards and I'm sure her work will get more and more attention as time goes by.
Still, I've had more frustrating viewing experiences. Dustin Hoffman's pitch for an Ishtar Two was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time and it almost made me forgive any of the evening's oversites.

No comments: