Sunday, March 18, 2007

Billy Budd Finally Hits Dvd With Terence Stamp Commentary

Apparently early March saw the long awaited release of the film that gave the great Terence Stamp his first major role, the Peter Ustinov directed Billy Budd. This great Melville adaptation, that garnered Stamp his only Oscar nomination, has been long out of print so the dvd is very welcome.
Early reviews of the disc have been good with special note going to an audio commentary featuring Stamp along with Billy Budd admirer and Limey director Steven Soderbergh.
With the release of Billy Budd, almost all of Terence Stamp's films of the sixties are available on American Dvd with the most notable omissions being Poor Cow, Far From The Madding Crowd and the elusive The Mind Of Mr. Soames. Let's hope that those three fine films hit region 1 sometime soon.
Billy Budd is available on its own or as part of the Literary Classics Collection box set.


aaron said...

You've convinced me to pick this up, especially to hear Stamp and Soderbergh sort this film out on the commentary.

But, what I wouldn't give for a reissue of SPIRITS OF THE DEAD with Stamp discussing "Toby Dammit"!

cinebeats said...

I'm really excited about the Billy Budd DVD! I love the movie but haven't seen it in years. It's a really terrific adaptation and Stamp is great in it. Robert Ryan is also really good as Claggart.

I hope more early Stamp films find their way to DVD as well. It's a shame that Poor Cow & Far From the Maddening Crowd are not on DVD yet and I've never seen The Mind Of Mr. Soames, but would love to.

We need to start championing these films more so companies finally release them. I may do a write up about Stamp soon myself. I know I've still got my Far From the Maddening Crowd VHS tape around somewhere...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks to you both for your comments. I agree with you Aaron about Spirits Of The Dead. Both of the dvds currently available are flawed and I think it is one time that Criterion clearly dropped the ball. Hopefully they will re-visit it sometime in the future as a fully loaded special edition.
I also agree with Cinebeats that we need to continue championing these films, they need to be re-released.
Thanks again for your comments and for reading.