Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Freddie Francis (1917-2007)


Tim Lucas over at VIDEOWATCHBLOG has reported the sad news that the great British director Freddie Francis has past away. Tim has written a wonderful tribute to the man so I will only add a few words.
My first exposure to horror films came as a youth seeing Hammer films on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon television. Seeing these films left an indelible impression on me that has shaped my love of cinema since. I certainly wasn't aware of the name Freddie Francis as a youngster but I was his films; seeing everything the great Oliver Reed thriller PARANOIAC to THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN to DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE provided many chills and thrills as a youth and they remain some of my most revisited Hammer and Francis directed all three of them.
Francis' contribution to a perhaps more exploitative cinema such as the Suzanna Leigh shocker DEADLY BEES to TROG may be among the man's lesser works but they always displayed a certain flair and imagination that is often lacking from lower budget exploitation and genre films.
Head on over and read Tim's fine remembrance and have a Hammer Horror night in tribute to the great Freddie Francis.

2 comments:

cinebeats said...

I was really sad to learn about the passing of Freddie Francis myself today and spent all afternoon writing about his carrer. He was one of my favorite filmmakers and he made a lot of incredible movies. I love his Hammer films! He'll be greatly missed.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks for your comment, your tribute to him on your site was extremely thoughtful and nice.