Sunday, April 29, 2007

DVD Talk's Review Of Ozzie and Harriet


THE ESPIONAGE FILMOGRAPHY author Paul Mavis has contributed a lengthy and insightful review to Shout Factory's THE BEST OF THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET. It looks like there is some bad news with the set as apparently some of the episodes are the edited syndicated versions. The extras sound fantastic, specifically the four commentaries with David and Rick's youngest son Sam, but I must say I am very disappointed to hear about the edited episodes.
I am still excited to buy this even if it isn't perhaps the grand slam it should have been.
Here is the link to Mavis' interesting review for those interested.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=27788

CLARIFYING POSTSCRIPT: Just a quick note to anyone reading that I am not at all suggesting to hold back from buying this set. The DVDtalk review mentions just renting it and I do not agree with that at all. The fact that a handful of episodes are syndicated shouldn't hold anyone back from buying this 4 disc set, which can be purchased for 20-25 dollars through some online vendors. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to express any doubts in mentioning the slight problem, I was just stating it because it is apparently there.
This is one of the most important releases of the year and if it's not bought then Shout Factory won't be able to give us any more.

2 comments:

Tim Lucas said...

I hate to see this set getting bad press and wariness spreading because these shows are edited. I saw these shows in exactly this form when they aired on the Disney Channel and it's where I fell in love with them. Of course I'd love to see the original broadcast versions with the commercials (for Coke, the Dairy Association, and Polaroid) featuring the Nelsons, but it would cost so much to restore those elements, it's best to acquaint people with why these shows are so important first, before that investment can be seen as worthwhile.

Jeremy Richey said...

I agree Tim,
I hope my post didn't sound like I was trying to ward people off. I'm still not entirely clear what is missing, and if it is indeed just commercials then it isn'ty any big deal at all. I'm still incredibly excited for the set and I do hope it does well so they will possibly put out the full seasons in the future.
Thanks for the comment.