Sunday, April 8, 2007

A Warm Day In New York, April 1971.


Later today I am going to be posting a review to go along with The Bleeding Tree's The Trashy Movie Celebration Blog-a-thon that I heard about from the always great Cinebeats. I had several films in mind and finally decided on either Jess Franco's delightful CELESTINE with Lina Romay or Roger Vadim's 1971 gem PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW.
I have decided on the Vadim flick as I am ultimately more familiar with it and since it was featured at Tarantino's recent Grindhouse festival it seemed more timely.
Here I offer a few ads you would have seen had you lived in the Big Apple and opened up the Times in 1971.
How amazing would it have been to spend a weekend viewing films from directors ranging from Vadim to Casavettes to Van Peebles to Bertolucci? You could have done a double feature with one of the greatest art films ever THE CONFORMIST and the great Amicus anthology THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD. Want some comedy and sex? How about Woody Allen's BANANAS paired up with the X-rated SEXUS IN PARADISE? How about some SWEET SWEETBACK'S BAADASSSSS SONG with SAMURAI PART 1.
If they ever build a time machine, 1971 doesn't seem like a bad year for a movie lover to set the dial to.

My PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW review will be up later today.

No comments: