Thursday, June 7, 2007

Happy Birthday Dean


I wanted to sit down this morning and write a long piece praising Dean Martin to celebrate what would have been his 90th birthday but I am exhausted and can't get anything out. So briefly, to go along with my older re-appraisal of his massive HOUSTON lp that I posted a few months back, I will just say happy birthday Dean and I miss you. You were one of the most important and underrated artists of the last century who perfected a style of singing and swagger that had more of an influence on rock and roll than most of the people typically credited. When you weren't singing on some of the most perfectly crafted and sublime pop records in history you were on the tv or cinema screen making people happy with your warm personality and astonishingly quick wit.
Happy Birthday to one of the true originals. The phrase 'Heaven Has No Favorites' doesn't apply since you got there.

5 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I want to wish Dino a Happy 90th Birthday! Dean Martin was the coolest cat to ever walk the planet. He was an all around great entertainer. He was good in a variety of movies, whether it was the Martin Lewis comedies, the Rat Pack flicks, the Matt Helm spy spoofs, westerns, etc. He had a voice like no other. He made some of the best pop records. Heck, he even knocked the Beatles out of #1 in 1964. He had a hilarious stage act. Then his tv show and celebrity roasts were amazing. I don't think he gets enough credit. I think his more carefree and laid-back approach turns some people off . Dino was and still remains the King of Cool.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I wasn't sure if I would do this or not today so I didn't mention it when I wrote my comment. I did a blog post about Dino on my MySpace blog. I hope you'll check it out. Thanks.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=180372336&blogID=273485545

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks for the comments,
Dean was incredible. I love every aspect of his career also. He will always be the King of Cool and one of the most important figures in popular culture. I will be sure to check out your myspace post...thanks again.

Jeremy Richey said...

Hey Keith,
Just left a comment for you over at your great Dino tribute. I never use my myspace account but I managed to remember my sign in info to make sure I got some positive words to you.
Great tribute...thanks for alerting me to it.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Thanks for checking out my blog post about Dino on MySpace. I also appreciate the great comments you left me there. It was really nice hearing from you. I left a response back there. I love everything about Dino, whether it was his movies, albums, stage act, tv show, etc. The man was amazing. He's certainly the King of Cool.