Friday, June 29, 2007

Thinking Blogger Awards (My Choices)

It is with great irony that it is in my post on the 'Thinking Blogger Award' that I have to admit that I can't figure out how to post a direct link within my text. Sometimes I am incredibly inept at doing the simplest of things so the blogs that I am awarding this honor to are linked to the right under the movie Blogs section. Also linked is the original site that started the award. My apologies for my inability to do something which I should have figured out probably around the second day of starting this blog.
Anyway, here are the original rules for the award:

1. If, and only if your blog is one that is tagged on my list below, you must write a post with links to five other blogs you like that consistently make you think (hence, the Thinking Blogger’s Award).

2. Link to this post so people will know whose good idea all this was. (see above)

3. Proudly display the “Thinking Blogger Award” logo with a link to the post you wrote.

So it seems that I have already broke rule #1, possibly rule #2 and who knows maybe even rule #3. I have also decided to vote on the blog which gave me the honor in the first place which perhaps spoils the whole point of it, but I decided I couldn't make a list of five blogs that make me think without including Cinebeats.
So, without further ado. Here are my choices for the 'Thinking Blogger Awards' which are all again directly linked over to the right.
I am listing these in alphabetical order, as they are all favorites that I wouldn't wish to assign a rank to them.

1. CINEBEATS: Kimberly Lindberg's great blog is one that I look forward to visiting every day. She is incredibly knowledgeable on a vast and diverse field of film and music and has a wonderful writing style that is enjoyable and intelligent without ever being condescending or overly academic. Kimberly has the rare ability to continually write on subjects that are simultaneously of major interest to seasoned cult film fans and also to people who haven't been exposed to less mainstream and more outre works. Her writing and topics work as an ideal introduction for some and a continuation for others. CINEBEATS is one of the best places on the Internet...period.

2. THE BLEEDING TREE: The thing I like so much about filmmaker Neil Sarver's The Bleeding Tree is that no matter how short some of his posts might be they all contain a certain thought or idea that engages me. I always find his blog a most interesting place to stop by and another that has the willingness to deal with a vast array of topics in always a fresh way. He has a great writing style, lots of interesting ideas and runs a top notch blog. It is always a pleasure to stop by and see what is on his mind any particular day.

3. MR. PEEL'S SARDINE LIQUEUR: The first time I clicked on this fabulous blog, the newest post was on John Cassavetes always ignored BIG TROUBLE. I was impressed that someone would take the time to give such an in detail look at a film no one ever bothers mentioning and that continues to be one of Mr. Peel's biggest strengths. Whether it is looking at the obscure James Caan feature FREEBIE AND THE BEAN to a long piece on ISHTAR, Mr Peel always delivers the most unexpected, well thought out and fascinating posts. I also admire how he isn't afraid to also look at more mainstream productions like OCEAN'S 13 and the DIE HARD films, something I also try to do here. Plus he got to meet Barbara Bouchet which automatically makes him great in my book.

4. TOMB IT MAY CONCERN: David Zuzelo's incredible blog is currently doing an impassioned and definitive series of posts on THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE (THEY CALL HER ONE EYE) that has me clicking on his link every day. Add on to that posts ranging from everyone from Jess Franco to Bruno Mattei and you have one of the most informative and solid blogs around. There is always great stuff to be found here and David has a very nice informative writing style that is always a pleasure to read...and like me, he loves him some Christina Lindberg.

5. VIDEO WATCHBLOG: Tim Lucas has been one of this blogs biggest supporters and his blog was the one that initially inspired me to open this one. Like his magazine, Video Watchdog, his blog is a place to visit if you want your cultural landscape opened up. From short information pieces highlighting interesting releases, to personal observations on a variety of topics, to very lengthy looks at all possible styles of films and music, VIDEO WATCHBLOG is one of the Internets best stops. Tim's style, topics and observations are always spot on and VIDEO WATCHBLOG is a perfect companion to the most essential film magazine on the planet. I can't get through the day without clinking on his link.

It was very difficult to narrow these down to five as I have quite a few other blogs that I look forward to visiting everyday. Some of those are linked to the right and are all recommended, these five though provide me with daily inspiration and I am glad to honor them in this very small way. My apologies again for not putting the links directly in the post and for any other rules I might have broken. Six months in and I am still a relative novice at the whole blogging phenomenon. Thanks for your patience with me and now go visit those five great blogs.


Cinebeats said...

Thanks so much for the kind wordsabout my blog Jeremy!

I was happy to see Neil's Bleeding Tree blog and David's Tomb blog mentioned since I really wanted to include them in my own choices.

Tim has long been my favorite film critic and he obviously deserves as much props as possible. I only managed to pass on listing him myself in order to possibly draw attention to lesser known writers, but Tim's writing always makes me think and he has turned me onto lots of great films for years.

Cheers to them all!

Jeremy Richey said...

No problem Kimberly, you and your blog deserve all the nice words I can give. I love Cinebeats and really admire all the work you do there, keep it up.
Thanks for all your support...

Neil Sarver said...

Thank you very, very much for choosing me. What an honor, especially in such company.

Now, of course, I need to come up with my own list... Dang!

Jeremy Richey said...

No problem Neil,
I always really enjoy your blog and I was glad to have the opportunity to say a few nice words about it...thanks and keep up the fine work at The Bleeding Tree

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Those are some interesting choices, Jeremy. I already am a huge fan of Kimberly's Cinebeats. I'll have to make sure to check out the other four.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I think you will enjoy those other spots...thanks for the comment

Mr. Peel said...

I want to thank you for all the kind words you said here. It really means a lot to read the supportive things you've said both here and over at my own blog.

I'm not sure that I've earned being placed on any list with Tim Lucas--down the line I'll have to write about what his magazine and writings have meant to me--but I'll do my best to live up to it in the future. Again, all my thanks.


Jeremy Richey said...

No problem Mr. Peel,
I love your blog and always enjoy reading your stuff...thanks and keep up the terrific and interesting work...