Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Happy 80th Birthday to Mr. Ken Russell

Here's to 80 years of shaking things up, being consistently brilliant, unpredictable and always sticking it to the man. A toast to an artist who never hesitated to throw a brick through the window of complacency and big middle finger to the cowardly studio executives who continue to suppress many of his greatest films.

To quote one of your favorite songwriters:

"I was always here in the silence
But I was never under your eye.
Gather up your love in some wiseness
for every memory shall always survive.
And you will see me."

Happy 80th Ken. Lots of pretenders and wannabes have and will continue to claim the crown but you are, and will always remain, cinema's most savage and poetic messiah.


Rogue Spy 007 said...

Ken Russell has always been one of my favorite filmmakers. I've loved every movie of his I've seen. Some were strange as could be, but they were always enticing. They drew me into their web. I really loved his films "Gothic," "The Lair of the White Worm," and "The Rainbow." Plus his movies were the first time I saw Sammi Davis, and I fell in love with her as a teen. Happy Birthday to Ken! I raise a toast to you!

Jeremy Richey said...

Man, I love Sammi Davis...I never could figure out why her career didn't explode. Great actress and lovely lady.
Glad to hear you love Ken...check out Video Watchblog today for a nice tribute to him...

Rogue Spy 007 said...

It's great to see another fan of Sammi. Most people I've ever talked to have no clue who she is. I loved her in Ken's movies. She was also good in "Hope & Glory." It's like I saw her on that show "Homefront" and then she pretty much disappeared. I never understood either why she didn't have a bigger career. She's beautiful and talented. I'll definitely check out that tribute to Ken.

Cinebeats said...

Great post! I may follow up your bday post to Ken with one of my own since I love the man's movies so damn much.

And what the heck ever hapened to Sammi Davis? She really is a great actress and she had lots of spunk and charm. A rare combo these days. It's a shame she didn't make more movies in the '90s and I haven't seen her in anything new in ages.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
I will look forward to your post if you get to do it. I really wish Sammi would have done more stuff...I did a quick google search and it basically seems like she stopped to take care of her family but is in the process of re-appearing....
thanks again for commenting