Monday, July 30, 2007

Ingmar Bergman Five Posters/Five Films




Bergman was such a prolific director and made so many quality films that it is hard to know where to begin with him. I am still working on his filmography and have probably only seen maybe a little less than half his work at this point. Here are five poster designs for a handful of his films that moved me greatly. I tend to gravitate towards his output from the late sixties up until FANNY AND ALEXANDER (1983) as these attest too but he had at least one masterpiece in every decade since the forties which is something few filmmakers can claim.
I will be posting some more personal thoughts on Bergman in the next few days as I am sure many will be, in the meantime here are five very distinctive films in his canon that can all be granted the sometimes over used term 'masterpiece.'

7 comments:

cinebeats said...

Lots of death today... you can add the French actor Michel Serrault to the list of the deceased who all left the world on July 30th.

I'm passing on writing anything myself since I'm not sure what I could bring to the thousands of tributes that will no doubt be written in the coming weeks and I've had a mixed relationship with his work, but I do admire the man. May we all live such long and productive lives as he did!

Joe Valdez said...

You're right, Jeremy, it's rare for a director to release a masterpiece in four successive decades, and I'm embarrassed to admit the only Bergman film I've seen has been The Seventh Seal. I look forward to reading your thoughts!

Jeremy Richey said...

Serrault died to??? Damn, what is happening? This is just too much. This has been a rough year.

Thanks Joe for the thoughts...don't be embarrassed about only seeing "The Seventh Seal". It's just within the past couple of years that I have really been buckling down attempting to see more and more of his films...there are a lot of them.

I agree Kimberly about living such a long and productive life. Even people who don't like his films has to admire just how influential and honest the man was with his work...

I appreciate both your thoughts...I'm going to go now and read the reports of Serrault. This week is not starting off well...

scott said...

HOUR OF THE WOLF, PERSONA, THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY, THE SILENCE and MONIKA


sad to see him go! :(

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Scott,
There are so many great films in his canon...these are five that have really stuck with me...Really sad to see him go also.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

This man was a great influence on the world of filmmaking and beyond. I won't say I'm a huge fan because I've only seen "The Seventh Seal" myelf. It was a great film though. I wouldn't mind seeing some more of his work, especially now that he's passed on. He definitely had quite a few masterpieces. That's so rare for a filmmaker. R.I.P.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
May I highly recommend "Fanny and Alexander" as one of the great films I have ever seen.