Thursday, August 9, 2007

Friedkin Gets Some Due

A big congratulations to one of my favorite directors William Friedkin for receiving
France's Ministry of Culture's Order of Arts and Letters (Officier de l'ordre des Arts et des Lettres). Friedkin joins just a handful of other American directors including Mel Brooks, Clint Eastwood, Gordon Parks, and Robert Redford who have also received this great honor.
I am very happy to see Friedkin finally getting some recognition as it has been a long time coming. Even though he won a well deserved Oscar back in 71 for THE FRENCH CONNECTION, Friedkin is often unjustly not included among the great American director's of the Seventies. At his best, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE EXORCIST, SORCERER, CRUISING, TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A., RAMPAGE and JADE, Friedkin is pretty unmatchable in my eyes as someone who is able to present the evil in man as much more than just a mere suggestion.
With Friedkin's CRUISING finally set to hit DVD and his recent feature BUG garnering his best reviews in two decades, the French Ministry's honor is very well timed. Here's hoping it leads to many more great films in this man's remarkable career.


Rogue Spy 007 said...

I am really happy to see him given the honor of such a prestigious award. I don't think he often gets the recognition and acclaim he deserves. He's made a lot of great films, including my favorite of his, "The French Connection," starring one of my favorite actors of all time, Gene Hackman. I love that movie. Congrats to Friedkin.

Jeremy Richey said...

"The French Connection" is one of the greats and I love Gene Hackman...he's another guy I need to do a long piece on soon...thanks for the comments

Anonymous said...

friedkin is a great man. his last film "bug" is very good. I saw friedkin at cinematheque fran├žaise one year ago for a "master class" and it was GREAT. he's incredible, brilliant, very smart, charismatic and funny. and he stayed standing during 2 hours! the french crowd (barbet shroeder was here) was HAPPY!!! great man. his next film will be a coco channel biopic!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Olmer,
That is fantastic you got to see him there. I unfortunately missed "Bug" as it only played a week here but am really looking forward to the dvd...thanks for commenting

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I was thinking myself the other week when I was watching Hackman as Lex Luthor in "Superman" that I need to do a blog on him at some point. I loved "The French Connection." Like I said, it's my favorite Friedkin film, even though I've liked his others, including "The Exorcist."