Monday, August 6, 2007

Jason Bourne Comes Home

I just wanted to give a major plug to Paul Greengrass' THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM which isn't just a fitting conclusion to one of the best trilogies of the decade but also easily one of the best films of the year.
I was a big fan of Doug Liman's THE BOURNE IDENTITY when it came out five years ago and I have been thrilled to see the series continued in such a strong and intelligent way.
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM is one of those rare action films that is smart, exciting and surprisingly very moving. Greengrass' direction is consistently superb and the new film features three of the most effective action sequences I have seen in a long time, including a car chase that still has my head swimming.
The series secret weapon, British composer John Powell, returns with another great score and Moby's great EXTREME DAYS happily closes the film again. The cast is uniformly excellent and includes such luminaries as Albert Finney, David Strathairn, Scott Glenn and an ageless Joan Allen. I still miss Franka Potente's Marie, who was such a valuable addition to the first film, but she at least pops up in a flashback in the new film.

THE BOURNE films belong to Matt Damon though, an actor who has really come into his own this decade and his work as Jason Bourne is among the most underrated characters of the decade. Damon has a real brooding intensity and strength about him in these films and the series wouldn't work anywhere near as well without him.
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM is a fantastic film and I can't recommend another Summer movie above it this year. I would say from it's record breaking take over the weekend that I am not the only one who appreciates seeing a serious, thinking action picture in the midst of such general mindless drivel. Don't miss it.


Rogue Spy 007 said...

I had wanted to see it this past weekend, but I didn't get a chance. I am going to see it this upcoming weekend. I loved the first two. They were films with action and intelligence. Sometimes those two don't go together well. They have had a great supporting cast since the beginning. Matt Damon is definitely Jason Bourne. He has done an outstanding job with the role. Thanks for such a glowing review of the new one. It makes me want to see it that much more.

Jeremy Richey said...

I agree Keith...this is a fantastic series and it really goes out with a bang with this one...