Tuesday, August 7, 2007

New Bava Collection Coming In October?


Recently Tim Lucas posted the exciting news that he had indeed recorded three more audio commentaries for some upcoming Bava releases. Now, there is a topic at DvdTalk's forum stating that Anchor Bay's second Bava set will street on October 23rd and will contain the following films:

BARON BLOOD
LISA AND THE DEVIL
ROY COLT AND WINCHESTER JACK
FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT
BAY OF BLOOD
5 DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON

If I had to wager a bet I would say that Tim's commentaries will be on BARON BLOOD, LISA AND THE DEVIL and BAY OF BLOOD but I could very well be mistaken. I must say the lineup for this second box almost makes me more excited than the first as BARON, LISA and BAY are three of my favorite Bava films and I have a lot of love for both 5 DOLLS and FOUR TIMES as well. ROY COLT is a Bava film I have never seen so I am very curious about that one.
I am a disappointed to not see HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON in the set but hopefully a better release of that great underrated film will appear down the road. I am also curious to see if HOUSE OF EXORCISM will be offered with LISA AND THE DEVIL like the old Image set had.
Again, I am not completely sure how accurate all of this information is. Apparently it is being reported on a couple of other sites but I haven't found it up for pre-order yet and the date (and contents) might very well change. It does appear that we will indeed be getting another Mario Bava set later this year though, and that is a cause for major celebration.

10 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

This is so cool. I'm really psyched by Baron Blood and Bay of Blood. Two really awesome Bava films. I can't wait to get this. He's definitely one of my favorite filmmakers of all time. I'm glad to see his films getting some of the treatment they deserve.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I agree and I'm glad to hear you admire his films as well...the two you mentioned are real favorites of mine also...thanks for commenting

colinr said...

This is great news for me. I haven't seen many Bava films outside of the first Anchor Bay set and their separate release of Rabid Dogs, only Danger: Diabolik, Shock, Black Sunday and Four Times That Night before.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the inspiration for Friday the 13th too!

I'm going to have to start saving now since I'm already planning to get the new Caligula set and third volume of the Treasures From American Film Archives that come out at the same time!

colinr said...

According to a post on the Criterion Forum, Erik The Conqueror is also going to be released separately at the same time as the second set, also with a Lucas commentary.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Colin,
"Twitch Of The Death Nerve (Bay Of Blood)" is a real favorite and you will definately see the "Friday The 13th" influence...
I'm intrigued by the extras on that upcoming "Caligula" set...
I did see where Tim posted confirmation and I share your excitement for this set...tahnks for the comments

cinebeats said...

*hopes Tim will read this post and comments!*

I was really hoping that these new DVD sets would contain some hard to find Bava films like Caltiki and Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs. I'm glad his great films are getting re-released in these nice collections but it would be wonderful to see some rare titles in these sets.

Maybe the later ones will contain some of the hard to see Bava films that haven't had decent DVD releases in the US yet? I really hope so!

This set is terrific though. 5 Dolls and Baron Blood are two of my very favorite Bava efforts, and I have a soft spot for Four Times That Night.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
I would love to see his rarer titles too as there are several that I haven't seen like "Caltiki".
I love "5 Dolls" as well and wish Tim could have done a commentary for this one. His most recent blog post is interesting and he mentions that he wanted to record one for it...I hate that someone was being nasty about his commentaries as I think they are totally engrossing and fascinating. I wish he could do one for all of Bava's work but I know that would be impossible...
thanks for commenting, it's going to be a great set...

Neil Sarver said...

Very nice sounding set. I'm most looking forward to the Erik the Conqueror disk he mentions being sold separately.

As it goes, while I'm looking forward to all three of his commentaries, I must say that I'd have rather had one for 5 Dolls For an August Moon than either Baron Blood or Lisa and the Devil... frankly it'd be a near tie with Twitch of the Death Nerve. It's too bad that wasn't able to happen.

Mr. Peel said...

I'm one of those who was hoping for a commentary on 5 Dolls, who I guess now I'm one of those disappointed there won't be one. Oh well. The set still sounds terrific and I'll definitely be devouring it when I pick it up.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Neil and Mr. Peel.
It's great to see all this love for "5 Dolls For An August Moon" which is typically considered lesser Bava...I've always thought it was underrated and it seems I am not the only one...thanks to you both for the comments...