Friday, August 24, 2007

The Return Of "On The Corner"


One of the most intriguing upcoming releases of the year is a massive six cd box set documenting the most controversial album the late Miles Davis ever recorded. Streeting in September, the new six cd box will be entitled simply the THE COMPLETE ON THE CORNER SESSIONS and it promises to be a hair raising listen.
ON THE CORNER is one of the most searing and intense albums ever recorded and it still divides even the most devoted of Miles Davis and Jazz fans. Recorded just a couple of years after the masterful BITCHES BREW, ON THE CORNER with it's muddy and intensely buried grooves shocked the music world when it first hit the streets in 1972. It has popped up on many worst and best albums list and is one of the few albums that can truly claim to sound like nothing else on the planet.
I have always thought of ON THE CORNER as being a bit like Lou Reed's equally controversial METAL MACHINE MUSIC. It is a bitch to listen to but you will be all the better for getting through it and having it in your collection. I am really intrigued to hear the five discs of outtakes, although I suspect that much like Sly and The Family Stone's THERE'S A RIOT GOIN ON and Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING, ON THE CORNER will never lose the mystery deeply embedded in it.

2 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Never owned this album myself. I have an uncle who's a huge jazz fun. He's got it. I've listened to it a few times. It is definitely something different. Not my favorite thing that Miles ever did, but I give him credit for trying something new. If we had more artists who would be like that.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
No where near my favorite Miles either but I do think it is a fascinating record. I am looking forwward to hearing the outtakes.