Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Distracted Globe Looks At The Yards

Joe Valdez over at the always interesting The Distracted Globe has posted a great review of one of my favorite films from this decade, James Gray's THE YARDS (2000). I have a lot of love for this undervalued and masterful film so I enjoyed reading some really positive and well though out reactions reactions to it.
THE YARDS is one of the most stirring, well written and well cast American films from recent years and I am still thankful I got to see it in its very limited theatrical run seven years ago.
THE YARDS is currently available in two versions, the original theatrical cut and a spellbinding directors edition dvd with some really great extras. The round table discussion with James Gray, James Caan, Mark Walhlberg and Charlize Theron is a strikingly honest dvd extra that is rare for modern American films. Head over to The Distracted Globe (which is linked to the right under the movie blogs) for a great review and check out the film in case you have missed it. I hope to post on it here someday as well.

Speaking of James Gray, his upcoming feature WE OWN THE NIGHT looks incredible and it reunites him with THE YARDS stars Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix. It is due out in October and I am expecting it to be among the best films of the fall.


Rogue Spy 007 said...

I'll have to make sure I check this out. I did enjoy "The Yards." I think it was an underrated film.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
It's a well written review for a great film....

Joe Valdez said...

Thanks for the great publicity, Jeremy!

You made a good point about the DVD extras on this flick. Regardless of whether you think The Yards is boring or cliched or whatever, if you're a film student, or just love DVDs, this one would make a great stocking stuffer.

In addition to the round table discussion and deleted scenes, there are two audio commentaries. One features Gray and Steven Soderbergh, who had nothing to do with the film but enjoys talking to directors about their experiences, and took the time to sit around with Gray just to talk to him about his movie.

The other track features Gray by himself and is tremendous. He talks a lot about style and what he considers makes a movie a good one. I found this a lot more useful as a writer than hearing about shot selection or locations. He also has a habit of impersonating Wahlberg or Joaquin Phoenix's voice whenever quoting them that I thought was fairly uncanny.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Joe and no problem...I am glad to see this film getting some love...and I am in total agreement on the discs great extras...thanks again.