Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Hello Hitch


Kimberly at Cinebeats recently offered up a list of her favorite Hitchcock films so I thought I would do the same here. I'd also like to apologize for the rather sporadic nature of my postings right now here and over at my Kinski blog. The first part of this semester has been more hectic than usual and I am still getting my footing with this particular set of classes. Thanks to those who are sticking with Moon In The Gutter and I promise to have some hopefully interesting longer posts coming up in the next couple of weeks, including a day long multi-post tribute to Richard Loncraine's FULL CIRCLE (1977).
So here are are fifteen of my favorite Hitchcock films. There have been many filmmakers I have come to love more as an adult, but I would be lying if I said that Alfred Hitchcock wasn't one of the greats who initially inspired my love for all things celluloid.

1. VERTIGO (1958)
2. SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943)
3. STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)
4. REAR WINDOW (1956)
5. THE BIRDS (1963)
6. SPELLBOUND (1945)
7. NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)
8. MARNIE (1964)
9. FRENZY (1972)
10. PSYCHO (1960)
11. THE WRONG MAN (1956)
12. NOTORIOUS (1946)
13. TO CATCH A THIEF (1955)
14. REBECCA (1940)
15. MR. AND MRS. SMITH (1941)

Of course the order will change in five minutes but these are fifteen films I never tire of revisiting with honorable mention going to I CONFESS, STAGE FRIGHT, ROPE and LIFEBOAT.
Kimberly's original list can be seen at Cinebeats which is always just over to the right under my favorite film blogs.

4 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Hey Jeremy. I just got finished reading and replying to Kimberly's post over at Cinebeats. I love Hitchcock. He made such amazing films. I love all the films on your list. Like I mentioned on Cinebeats, my favorite film of his is North by Northwest. It's got a great cast. Cary Grant is fantastic. He is one of my favorite actors of all time. It's got a great all around cast with Eva Marie Saint and James Mason. Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, Psycho, To Catch A Thief, and Notorious are some of the films on your list I really love. I also love Rope which Kimberly mentioned.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
It is always great thinking about and re-watching his films....you should post your list at your my-space blog.

Cinebeats said...

Terrific list Jeremy and thanks for sharing it! THE WRONG MAN and I CONFESS are two Hitchcock films I really need to see again.

STAGE FRIGHT and LIFEBOAT both came very close to making my own list and I really love the way Hitch shot TO CATCH A THIEF.

Last but not least, I'm really looking forward to reading your tribute to FULL CIRCLE since it's one of my favorite horror films.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
I really like The Wrong Man. It is really unlike anything else he ever made...I Confess I mostly dig because of my love for Clift.

Hope you enjoy the Full Circle tribute...I got some rare goodies in the mail the other day related to it that I am looking forward to sharing