Friday, September 7, 2007

A Twelve-Pound Package Arrives From Cincinnati

This morning I went to the post office with the feeling that today might be the day that I would have something very special waiting for me. As I opened my PO Box I saw a key alerting me to the fact that I had an oversize package awaiting me. Now I have a couple of small items I have ordered recently so I thought this might not be it and to not get too excited. I made my way over to the numbered boxes and noticed that it was a key to one of the large boxes. Opening the box I excitedly found something large, HEAVY and marked from Video Watchdog. As I was walking out of the post office I was still in a bit of disbelief. I looked around and wondered is this really the day?

I got home with the package and sat it down on the floor to grab something to drink before I opened it up. My trusty Cat, and fellow Mario Bava fanatic, Mazzy immediately started to study the package and after deciding there was nothing harmful or explosive inside, he gave me the feline go ahead to open it.
I must say opening this box reminded me of being a kid again on Christmas morning. I had a near uncontrollable urge to put the music from A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS on as I was gently pulling the WEIGHTY surprise out of its priority mail container.

So here it is. I feel like I am dreaming and I can't believe it is finally in my possession. It is magnificent...just everything I imagined it would be and more. You can feel the love pouring out of every page of this book. I can't imagine how long it will take me to get through and truly absorb it all but I am looking forward to every second I will with it.
Here are some shots of me with my new baby. Congratulations to Tim and Donna Lucas on a remarkable achievement and thanks to the both of them for making this project so special. This is easily the finest book on cinema and one of its true masters that I have ever seen. I must also say that having my name featured in the back of it puts a major lump in my throat.
To quote Martin Scorsese's introduction, "It deserves a place on the bookshelves of all serious film lovers." Tim Lucas' MARIO BAVA ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK is available through Video Watchdog (which is always linked to the right).


Rogue Spy 007 said...

Great seeing all the pics of you, your cat, and the book. You look like a kid who is happy that Santa brought him what he wished for on Christmas. :-) Glad it came. It does like fantastic. He is definitely one of the great filmmakers of all time. I've wondered about it myself, but haven't had the extra cash right now. I hope you enjoy it and learn some things that you didn't know. Have a good weekend.

Mr. Peel said...

I got mine yesterday, but haven't had a chance to post about it yet. So I look forward to reading it this weekend and beyond. And it's a huge thrill to see my name in the back.

colinr said...

Grrr...I'm really jealous right now! lol

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks all,
I was so excited to get this yesterday that I had to share. I was up late last night just attepting to browse through it and it is just incredible.
Thanks for the comments...

Geek said...

Hey Jeremy Mike Bray here, crazy seeing you on watchdogs website. Haven't heard from you in a while and dave has been wondering if you were still alive. You're a lucky SOB to get that book, don't be a stranger!