Monday, October 22, 2007

Louis Malle On TCM


Turner Classic Movies is celebrating what would have been Louis Malle's 75th birthday tomorrow and Wednesday with a festival of ten films, including their premiere of BLACK MOON. Three of the films, including BLACK MOON, are not available on DVD here in the States so TCM'S showing of them is most appreciated.
The other two titles missing on DVD are Malle's 1960 comedy ZAZIE IN THE SUBWAY, and 1963's THE FIRE WITHIN. The other films showing are ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS (1960), MURMUR OF THE HEART (1971), GOODBYE, CHILDREN (1987), LACOMBE LUCIEN (1974) and three of his documentaries.
TCM has a nice article on Malle located here.
Outside of looking forward to the widescreen showing of BLACK MOON, I am excited about the prospect of catching up with some more of Malle's work, as he has been a director that I have seen relatively little by.

6 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I hate to say this, but I don't think I've ever seen a Louis Malle film. I'll definitely have to try to see some of them soon.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...PRETTY BABY is a good one to start with for his English language productions...I love BLACK MOON the best of all his films but I am in the minority on that one.
GOODBYE CHILDREN is an incredible film as well...

Cinebeats said...

I'm thrilled to say that my cable TV should be hooked up today (if all goes well) and hopefully I'll be able to catch Black Moon on TCM.

I really like a lot of Malle's movies but I've never seen Black Moon and I really enjoyed your write-up about the movie earlier this year. Plus anything with Joe Dallesandro is usually worth a look... or two!

DirtyRobot said...

Zazie Dans Le Metro is a fantasticly absurd comedy, I was lucky enough to see it projected last year in Toronto. Definitely worth watching.

aaron said...

I watched BLACK MOON earlier this year sans subtitles, but I appreciated the visuals and followed along fairly well, despite a limited apprehension of the french language. So, yeah, I can't wait for the TCM airing -- I think it has the potential to be my favourite Malle alongside MURMUR OF THE HEART.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks DirtyRobat...I burned Zazie and am really looking forward t watching it...

Thanks aaron...TCM's print of it looked good although I only did a spot check of the disc I burned...hope you enjoyed it...