Saturday, November 3, 2007

Bewitched Again


One of my major personal musical discoveries happened back in the early nineties when I was working at a Lexington, Kentucky record store called Slipped Disc. We had a stack of promo CDs behind the counter which I would randomly put in when I had forgotten to bring my own music, or wanted to hear something new. One day I came across an album called BEWITCHED by a band named Luna, and playing it that first time took me to a place only a handful of groups had ever successfully done before. Centered on the incredibly intelligent lyrics of Galaxie 500 founder Dean Wareham and the majestic guitar interplay between him and Sean Eden, Luna glistened whereas most American bands of the nineties simply plodded on.
I followed the band after that fateful day of being floored by BEWITCHED through the rest of their career, until their eventual break up a couple of years ago. Luna remains one of the essential bands of the past thirty years and, along with Paul Westerberg, Dean Wareham is one of the true last great figures in rock music. Although, much like the great Replacements founder, he is rarely credited as such.
Last year a remarkable film came out called TELL ME DO YOU MISS ME, which chronicled Luna on their last tour. I have been meaning to write about the film as it is a favorite from the past several years, and one that I didn't think got enough attention.


Recently while reading the Mobius film board, I came across some really nice words written about my Nastassja Kinski blog written by a Matthew Buzzell. The name was familiar, and I managed to track him down on MySpace to send him a thank you note. I quickly connected the dots and realized that Matthew Buzzell was the director of none other than the film I had been thinking to write on, TELL ME YOU LOVE ME. Long story short...I have had several very friendly correspondences with Matthew and I will be paying tribute to his wonderful film later this week. I hope to also have some commentary from Matthew himself on it as well, if all goes according to plan.
There is something really special about music that you discover in your early twenties, and Luna remains a band I feel a strong connection to. I am really excited about getting to pay tribute to them and a really wonderful under-appreciated film at the same time. My post on TELL ME DO YOU MISS ME will appear late next week or sooner.
Regular posts will continue here at Moon In The Gutter as well.

11 comments:

Lastyear said...

Glad to see the mention of Luna.Always one of my favorites.Also check out the 2 albums Dean has done with Britta.The first is the better of the 2 but both are worth having.I was lucky enough to see them in Detroit on their farewell tour.They will be missed.

Jeremy Richey said...

That's amazing you got to see them on there lats tour...I am sure that was something special. I love Dean And Britta as well...thanks for the comments and I hope you enjoy my upcoming LUna posts...

Jeffrey Allen Rydell said...

How is Galaxie 500 not getting a mention in all of this?

Jeremy Richey said...

Hey Jeffrey,
Certainly not meaning to slight Galaxie 500, as they were amazing but I'm not really sure where to bring them up here...other than the obvious connection that Waeham was their co-founder (which I pointed out) and Luna came after.
I want the focus to be on Luna as a band, which is why I'm perhaps not mentioning Galaxie too much.
Hope that makes sense...thanks for the comment, hope you enjoy the upcoming post on the film...

Jeffrey Allen Rydell said...

"other than the obvious connection that Waeham was their co-founder (which I pointed out)"

Oops. Missed that - would have foregone the comment if I could actually read with any proficiency.

Still though, they're where it's at for me with Wareham.

At any rate, I had no idea fellow Mobian Matthew Buzzell had directed that doc. Neato!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Jeffrey...I will more than likely write on Galaxie 500 here one day as I really love them. Hope you keep finding stuff of interest here...and yes it was very cool to find out that Matthew is on Mobius. I love visiting that board...wish they were accepting registrations right now. Thanks again...

Jeffrey Allen Rydell said...

"I love visiting that board...wish they were accepting registrations right now."

Yeah, I don't quite get what that's all about - but we could use you there!

-Jeff

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Jeffrey,
The thing that sucks is that I did have an acciunt with the old Mobius board before it crashed. I went through a period where I didn't post on boards but lately have been trying to again...Mobius is one of the best, and I enjoy your posts...

Jeffrey Allen Rydell said...

"I enjoy your posts..."

Man, you gotta get re-upped then, cause I'm pretty much a certified thread-killer over there!

Jeffrey Allen Rydell said...

SEE!?! ;)

Jeremy Richey said...

Not at all Jeffrey...I just posted my Luna post. Hope it is interesting...