Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Christmas Wish List

There are many, many hard to find film that I would like very much to see. Recently Out 1 had their contributors list some of their most wanted so I thought I would do the same. Christmas would fall on any day I would be lucky enough to see any of these pictures.

1. ALICE: Claude Chabrol's film starring Sylvia Kristel is at the top of my list. The beguiling stills and descriptions I have read of it make it sound like it is one of the great man and actresses key works.

2. JOE CALIGULA: Almost all of Jose Benazeraf's works are hard to find but this particular 1966 title is among the ones I most would like to see.

3. MERRY-GO-ROUND: Jacques Rivette's long version of this Joe Dallesandro-Maria Schneider film has had a troubling distribution history since it first premiered. My love for all three involved makes this another key missing film in my collection.

4. THE INNER SCAR: This Phillipe Garrel film starring Nico is so hard to get a hold of that clips from it were actually removed from NICO-ICON to secure that film a DVD release.

5. BIRDS IN PERU: This Romain Gary-Jean Seberg collaboration sounds really nuts, and I suspect it is among the more haunting works of the period.

6. A PLACE FOR LOVERS: I don't care how bad this Vittorio De Sica production starring Faye Dunaway and Marcello Mastroianni is supposed to be. I would love to see it in all of its melodramatic glory.

7. PUZZLE OF A DOWNFALL CHILD: Another Faye Dunaway film, this time directed by SCARECROW mastermind Jerry Schatzberg.

8. PROCESS: You woulddn't think that a recent film would be so hard to track down, but this Beatrice Dalle film from just a couple of years ago is a really elusive title.

9. THE FUTURE IS A WOMAN: A good quality English subtitled print of this final collaboration between Ornella Muti and Marco Ferreri would make a splendid stocking stuffer.

10. THE TRUTH: Brigitte Bardot received the best reviews of her career in this 1960 Clouzet film that to my knowledge has not been seen in this country since its original premiere.

6 comments:

Pete Emslie said...

I was lucky enough to see Bardot in "The Truth" just several years ago when it ran at Toronto's Cinematheque as one of a series of Clouzot films. (I also finally got to see his "Diabolique" at that time, too!) "The Truth" really is a first rate film about a girl on trial for killing her lover in what is claimed to be a "Crime of Passion". Apparently, the French are far more understanding when that's the circumstance under which murder is committed. Anyway, it's a terrific film that coincidentally is also on my wishlist for films that would get a DVD release. I'm really surprised that Criterion hasn't been able to snag this one yet.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

What a great Christmas wish list. I love it. I think all 10 films sound like worthwhile viewing. I especially would like to see #1 and #3. I'm a big fan of all those involved.

Lastyear said...

I have seen 3 of these altho not recently.Puzzle of a Downfall Child I found rather dull-far inferior to the directors next film Scarecrow.The DeSica is probably his worst a very maudlin romance-she's dying of a unnamed disease but looks great to the end.Birds is Peru is interesting by being one of the worst films Ive ever seen.And Ive seen a lot of bad ones.The Rivette,Chabrol and Clouzet I would like to see.Rivette's masterpiece Celine & Julie Go Boating also needs a DVD release.It's hard to belive that that are still so many films not on DVD(African Queen?)while The Evil Dead gets a new incarnation every 6 months(I like The Evil Dead but it has how many reissues now?)

Cinebeats said...

This is a terrific list! I've seen clips from Alice & The Inner Scar, and both look amazing. The only film I have seen is Puzzle of a Downfall Child many many years ago on TV and I can remember it being very over the top and Faye Dunaway looked amazing in it! I would love to see it again.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Pete...That is so coll you got to see THE TRUTH. It is one I have wanted to see for years. I love Bardot and I have heard she is amazing in it...hopefully since it is Clouzot it will get a DVD eventually...

Thanks Keith...I will let you know if I track either one of those down...

Thanks LastYear for sharing your thoughts on the ones you have seen...it is amazing and annoying how much shelf space EVIL DEAD occupies. I just read yet another edition is getting ready to come out. (I like EVIL DEAD by the way but damn!)

Thanks Kimberly,
PUZZLE has really interested me as I love SCARECROW and Dunaway in this period. Thanks for the comments and all your help...

Mike White said...

I can get you a couple of those. I've been waiting on subtitles for ALICE for a while and hope to get those someday. A few of those are also on my "wanted" list.