Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Happy Birthday To Jennifer Connelly


My favorite American actress was born 37 years ago today, so Moon In The Gutter would like to wish her a very happy birthday.
I discovered Jennifer Connelly early on in her career, after seeing her unforgettable screen debut in Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA shortly after it hit video in the mid eighties. Jennifer is about the same age as I am so I have always felt more of a connection to her than most actors I admire.
Being a Jennifer Connelly fan in the early to mid nineties was not particularly easy as most people turned a deaf ear to my claims that she was incredibly talented. Her great early roles for the likes of Leone and Argento were hacked to death in America and she was best known her for such dreck as CAREER OPPORTUNITIES. Still I always stuck with her, watched her films and knew eventually she would fulfill the promise of her early career...which of course she has in a really wonderful way.
Jennifer has become such an exceptional actress in the past decade and has delivered some of the period's best performances in works such as WAKING THE DEAD, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG and her Oscar winning turn in A BEAUTIFUL MIND. I think she is sublimely powerful in everything she does, and I must admit that there isn't anyone else I'd rather see in a modern American film than Jennifer Connelly.
Her newest film, RESERVATION ROAD (which I haven't seen yet) hits dvd in about a month and she is currently working on HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU, the remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and BORN with her super cool husband Paul Bettany.
I will soon be featuring one of Jennifer's key films soon, which I hope everyone will enjoy.
So, happy birthday to a very talented and iconic performer who is lovelier and more genuine than modern Hollywood probably has any right to.

7 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Happy Birthday to Jennifer. I became a big fan of hers when I first saw "Labyrinth." She and I are the same age. I was born 8 days before her. She was growing up as I was. She's always been an actress I adore. I do think that through much of the 90's she didn't get the roles she deserved, but she's definitely been doing a lot of good work over the last few years. I was so happy when she won the Oscar for "A Beautiful Mind."

Mr. Peel said...

I had just posted my own little mention when I came over here and saw what you had written. However, the film I included a shot from is one you don't seem to like very much. Oh well. I promise, I'll write an appreciation of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA one of these days. And maybe THE ROCKETEER too.

Steve Langton said...

Like you, I first saw Connelly in Leone's wonderful ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA and share rogue spy's pleasure at her Oscar. Can remember seeing the UK prem of REQUIEM and coming out with even more appreciation of her talents. Top actress!

mike said...

My favorite Connelly flick, aside from Phenomena, is the criminally under-seen Etoile. I'm secretly hoping that is what you'll be highlighting!

colinrudge0380 said...

Dark City - please, please, please!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...I was thrilled when she won the Osacr as well...I think she has been overlooked several times since though which is really irritating.

Thanks Mr. Peel,
I left a comment for you at your site...would love to read your take on either one of those films...

Thanks Steve,
I'll never forget seeing REQUIEM at a theater. It remains a very vivid memory...

hey Mike,
UGH...I have never seen Etoile and am dying to. I really need to track a copy down as it is one of her only films I haven't seen...

Thanks Colin,
DARK CITY is amazing....

Thanks to you all for your comments...

Cinebeats said...

I really like Connelly as well and she's easily one of the best (and most beautiful) American actresses working. It's a shame that she was so under-used for years, but I'm glad she seems to have a new audience thanks to popular movies like Requiem and Beautiful Mind. I first saw her in Phenomena (or Creepers) in the early-mid '80s followed by Labyrinth a year or so later in the theater and I've liked her ever since.