Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ocean's Twelve Has Another Admirer


My recent post on the films of Steven Soderbergh got a lot of attention here and it was interesting to read how many different reactions people have towards his films. One of my most controversial favorites seemed to be OCEAN'S TWELVE, the much maligned second film from the popular trilogy, so I was happy to see that Eternal Sunshine Of The Logical Mind's writer Bob Turnbull is a fellow fan. Bob left a nice comment for me and included this link which features his great look at this underrated gem.
Bob hits on something that I really love about the film and that is that it is more of an 'art' film rather than just a slick commercial venture. To me the film works as Soderbergh's homage to all of those great sixties co-productions that would attempt to draw in art house and mainstream fans with a sharp international cast, European locals, and a undeniable sense of inventive fun. OCEAN'S TWELVE even manages to look like one of these productions, which is one reason I think so many modern fans and critics turned off to it.
The film remains to me one of Soderbergh's key works, and the best of a very fun and energizing trilogy. Head over to the above link to read Bob's nice appreciation for it, and I have added Eternal Sunshine's link to my film blog roll.

6 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Not sure that this is my least favorite film of the three. My favorite if the first one. The second and the third both have their positives and negatives. My least favorite thing about the second one was Julia Roberts. She really got on my nerves in this film. One of the things I most enjoyed was seeing Vincent Cassel in it.

Jeremy Richey said...

I'm not a big fan of Julia's either although I did like the section where her character Tess pretends to be...Julia Roberts...
Toatlly agree about Cassel, an actor who always brings greatness to his projects...thanks for the comments Keith.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

That was the only part of Julia's part I liked where Tess is pretending to be the real Julia. Cassel is amazing in whatever he's in. I wish he had been in that one and the 3rd film a little more.

Mr. Peel said...

I like the film very much, especially the Euro-60s vibe, though I do sometimes get the feeling of Soderbergh trying a little too hard to bend over backwards to make it different than expected. Maybe I can't help but think that a combination of logistics, dealing with actors schedules and overall expectations made it a difficult shoot for him. The DVD available overseas contains some deleted and alternate scenes, including different openings and endings which makes me think they were trying a lot of different things. I guess to me the first one glides and you can see the effort a little more in TWELVE. But I still get a lot of enjoyment out of it and always like finding out that it has its fans. At least it attempts to do something with the formula...that's more than you can say for a lot of sequels.

Bob Turnbull said...

Hi Jeremy...

Thanks very much for the kind words and the link. Man, it's nice to know I'm not completely alone in my love of the film. I wonder what it's like for all these other folks to live with the fact that they are just plain wrong...

I thought Cassel was superb in Twelve as well. I still liked Thirteen, but I think he would've added some more zip to it.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Mr. Peel, I always appreciate your well thought out comments...Great thoughts and I agree with several of them. I had no idea the import had bonus footage. I was so irritated last month when the box set came out and TWELVE was still bare bones. What the hell? Thanks again, and I will look into getting that import...

That's awesome Bob...thanks and no problem on the link. I agree about Cassell and I too wish he would have featured more in the new one...