Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ang Lee's The Ice Storm To Finally Get Some Due


Perhaps a bit of old news for some, but I was thrilled yesterday to find out that Criterion is releasing a 2 DVD set of Ang Lee's The Ice Storm in March.
I first saw Lee's film during its rather brief theatrical showing back in 97 and it immediately became one of my favorite films of that decade. My love for it has only grown in the past ten years and I am really glad that Criterion is putting it back out in such an impressive collection.
It streets on March 18th and includes a commentary from Lee, a documentary featuring the extraordinary cast, deleted scenes, an interview with original novelist Rick Moody and more. The Ice Storm was criminally ignored by a lot of people back in 97 and it has had a spotty release history on home video since, so this is a very welcome release.

5 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I've seen this once, but it was back when it first came out. I did love it. I hated that it got ignored by so many. It's definitely one of the better films of the 90's. I'll definitely have to see this one again.

Brandon Colvin said...

I fell in love with the box art for this Criterion the first time I laid eyes on it. So lovely . . .

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I really love this film. It reminds me a lot of my own childhood and I never tire of re-viewing it.

Thanks Brandon,
Yea that artwork is something. This film has always been plagued by rather lousy cover art so it is great to see Criterion coming through with a cover this evocative and mysterious...

Tim Lucas said...

A prophetic film, in that it opens with Tobey Maguire talking about a storyline from Marvel's FANTASTIC FOUR comic.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Tim,
Always great to hear from you here...I have been struck by that too in my reviewings of the film...on a sort of related not (although maybe not really) I still get Maguire and Wood confused all the time, something my girlfriend gives me some justified grief about as she is in love with the latter...