Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Jean-Luc Godard's Top Ten Lists


Anyone who has Godard On Godard will have seen these before but I just noticed they were online so here is a link to the top ten lists Jean-Luc Godard submitted to Cahiers du Cinema throughout the sixties.
I haven't yet been able to locate Godard actually writing on Dishonored, my overlooked classic of the week, but if you scroll down on this link you can see where he named it the 10th greatest American sound film ever made on a list from December of 1963.
I always really enjoy looking at these lists to remind myself of how many great American films there are that rarely get mentioned anymore and how important classic Hollywood was to Godard in the early part of his career. Some of my favorite choices that pop up on some of lists that might prove surprising are Joshua Logan's Bus Stop (1956), Otto Preminger's Saint Joan (1957), Billy Wilder's Irma La Douce (1963), Howard Hawks Man's Favorite Sport (1964, and Robert Mulligan's Love With The Proper Stranger (1964). All wonderful American films that are so often ignored...also the fact that Godard ranks Man's Favorite Sport above Antonioni's Red Desert on the 1964 list always reminds of what a complete bad ass he is...give the lists a look if you haven't seen them. They are fascinating.

4 comments:

Erich Kuersten said...

Hey, thanks for pointing out this groovy list. I just got Slightly Scarlet, so this incentive to actually watch it.

Ed Howard said...

Nice, Godard's writing on classic Hollywood is always interesting, as are these lists. Saint Joan is great, even though it was panned at the time and hasn't substantially gained in reputation since then. Considering how few films Seberg made, you'd think this would have a higher profile. Her naive, slightly awkward performances in this and Preminger's follow-up Bonjour Tristesse are perfectly suited to the material.

I'm also really happy to see his 1964 list topped by I Fidanzati, one of the most lovely, poetic, sweet films about love and longing that I've ever seen.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Erich,
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Thanks Neil,
I really love both SAINT JOAN and BONJOUR...I wish they would get SAINT JOAN out on disc. I have a VHS of it that has a great documentary on the making of the film...I totally agree with your thoughts on them both...I appreciate the comments...

Jeremy Richey said...

Sorry Ed, No idea why I just called you Neil...not enough coffee yet this morning I think...