Friday, February 8, 2008

No More Room In Hell: My Ten Favorite Romero Films

With no commentary, here are my favorite George Romero films. He will always be one the great genius’ in all of American film and his entire canon should be celebrated and revered. These are my ten personal favorites in order of preference. Feel free to share your own if you’d like and lets all get behind Diary Of The Dead. Let’s get excited again.
My look at The Crazies will hopefully appear here tomorrow as well as the results to the Romero polls.

1. Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

2. Martin (1977)

3. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

4. The Crazies (1973)

5. Day Of The Dead (1985)

6. The Dark Half (1993)

7. Creepshow (1982)

8. Land Of The Dead (2005)

9. Knightriders (1981)

10. Monkey Shines (1988)


Robert Monell said...

MARTIN is my favorite. When I interviewed Jean Rollin in 1990 he told me it was also his favorite Romero title. I like the quiet approach to horror he uses in it. I saw it at a Midnight showing when it first came out in 1977.
I also like KNIGHTRIDERS as a comment on what went wrong in American in the late 1970s. I also prefer the Italian Dario Argento post produced version of DAWN to the US release because of the way the music is used. I do look forward to DIARY.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Great list. I pretty much agree with you on the order. Dawn of the Dead is my favorite of his. I love that film. I've seen it so many times over the years. It will always hold a special place for me.

Ed Hardy, Jr. said...

I'm down with the top 5 but...I don't know that I like ten Romero movies enough to rank them. I found DARK HALF fatally flawed when I saw it years ago, and some of the others don't contain that spark of true artistic commitment the DEAD series has, or the out-and-out greatness of MARTIN. I haven't seen KNIGHTRIDERS but it looks like something I'll come across on VHS one day and fall in love with.

Robert: What does your comment about DAWN mean?

CG said...

I've yet to see Martin, but its high ranking on your list just might make it a priority.

Dark Half is a film I don't really care for at all. It feels really loose to me, with the negatives greatly outweighing the positives. Nice to see Knightriders included, and Dawn at the top!!

Steve Langton said...

My own Romero top 10 in order of preference:

Like Robert, I prefer Argento's cut of DAWN.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Robert,
Martin is nearly my favorite as well. i really adore the film and thanks for the fascinating tidbit from Rollin! That is amazing...I go back and forth on which version of Dawn I like the best. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages...I seem to remember Argento using the Goblin score heavier which I definately prefer.

Thanks Keith,
I think Dawn Of The Dead is a real special film for a lot of people our age...I know it is for me.

Thanks Ed,
I have always had a soft spot for Dark Half although I know it is a flawed production that could have been stronger. I have been meaning to revisit it as it has been several years since I last saw it...hope you enjoy KnightRiders. It is a real interesting film...

Thanks CG,
Martin is amazing...give it a look as soon as you can. I almost like it more than Dawn!

Thanks Steve for submitting your list...ours are quite similar in that top five. I really need to give Bruiser another chance. I saw it just once and was very disappointed but have heard from several people who really dig it. I need to give it another shot.

Thanks again for all the comments...

Cinebeats said...

I enjoyed seeing your list! My first 3 would look similar to yours with Martin at #1, Night of the Living Dead at #2 and Dawn of the Dead at #3. I really like Season of the Witch and that would be #4 on my list and after that I'm not so sure.

Knightriders and the Dark Half are the two Romero film I've never seen, but obviously I should. I'm afraid I really disliked Monkeyshines, but I haven't seen it in 10+ years so my opinion might be different now. As I mentioned earlier, I'm really looking forward to his new film!

Robert Monell said...

The Argento remix of DOTD uses the music in a presentational rather than represtataional manner, that's why I prefer it. If that makes sense. I've never been able to see SEASON OF THE WITCH. Did they ever release it with a proper soundtrack remixing?

Ed Hardy, Jr. said...

Thanks for the explanation, Robert. I wasn't aware that Argento had done a cut of DAWN. Why haven't I heard that story before?

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
Sorry about the delay in responding back...very interesting to see your list and it makes me want to check SEASON OF THE WITCH out again!
I think you would get a kick out of KnightRiders if you care to give it a look.
I'm not in love with Monkey Shines and need to revisit it as I am curious as to what my reactions would be now...

Thanks Robert,
After a semester of Japanese Cinema I definately know what you mean about 'presentational' and representational'...thanks for the interesting observations towards the Argento print...

Thanks Ed,
Argento's cut is called ZOMBIE and it is available on Anchor Bay's massive DAWN OF THE DEAD box set. It might be out on its own as well...give it a look as it is a very different experience...

thanks again for all the comments...