Saturday, February 23, 2008

Oscar Picks


Despite the fact that 2007 was one of the best years for American film in quite a while, I am oddly unexcited about the Oscars this year. I will of course watch them and will hopefully enjoy them, but I just can’t get into it right now for some reason.
Anyway, for whatever it’s worth…here are my predictions for who will win in some of the major categories and who I wish would take home the prizes. Enjoy and laugh at me Monday on the ones I miss…and yes, MICHAEL CLAYTON was far and away my favorite film of 2007 but I think it only has a real shot at one award, for its screenplay.

BEST PICTURE:
Will Win: ATONEMENT
Should Win: MICHAEL CLAYTON

BEST DIRECTOR:
Will Win: JOEL AND ETHAN COEN
Should Win: TONY GILROY

BEST ACTOR:
Will Win: DANIEL DAY LEWIS
Should Win: GEORGE CLOONEY

BEST ACTRESS:
Will Win: JULIE CHRISTIE
Should Win: JULIE CHRISTIE

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Will Win: JAVIER BARDEM
Should Win: JAVIER BARDEM

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Will Win: RUBY DEE
Should Win: TILDA SWINTON

BEST SCREENPLAY (ORIGINAL):
Will Win: MICHAEL CLAYTON
Should Win: MICHAEL CLAYTON

BEST SCREENPLAY (ADAPTED):
Will Win: THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Should Win: THERE WILL BE BLOOD

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Will Win: DIVING BELL AND BUTTERFLY
Should Win: DIVING BELL AND BUTTERFLY

BEST EDITING:
Will Win: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Should Win: THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM

5 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Great list. I'm really not sure who I would pick. Even though there have been some good films this year, I haven't seen as many of them as I would like. Where I live we hardly get these type of films. I have to wait until DVD usually. I did get a chance to see "Eastern Promises" last night. I loved it. It was magnificent. I thought Viggo was brilliant in it.

Steve Langton said...

I'm in much the same position as rogue spy. Really like the look of your list and can't wait to see your choices hit DVD. Fully agree with the comments on the Cronenberg film, which was only one of 3 movies I got to see on the big screen last year.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell said...

You're one of the few who still think ATONEMENT has enough momentum to finish. I picked it while sitting in the theater watching it (not my 'should', but my 'will'), and have to see my choice through - though NO COUNTRY gathered more popular steam then I thought it would, and if I were picking today...

-Jeff

Pete Emslie said...

As of today, I've just seen the last of the five nominated films so I can actually make an informed choice on Best Picture. My pick would also be "Michael Clayton", though I thought very highly of "Atonement" as well. "Juno" was a really sweet crowd pleaser that I enjoyed immensely, but I'm not sure it's Best Picture worthy. I liked "No Country For Old Men", but found it ultimately unsatisfying. As for the film I saw today, "There Will Be Blood" - nearly 3 hours of pure tedium in my opinion, and I wouldn't have even given it the nomination.

I reckon my tastes don't fall in line with Academy members this year, as two of my favourites were virtually overlooked: "La Vie En Rose", the biopic of Edith Piaf, and Julie Taymor's innovative, "Across the Universe". At least Marion Cotillard is nominated for her brilliant portrayal of Piaf, but I don't imagine she's likely to win, though she would be my choice. I'm hoping George Clooney wins for "Michael Clayton". I'm happy to see that three of the songs from "Enchanted" are in the Best Song category, and I hear that Amy Adams herself is performing at least one of them, while Kristen Chenoweth is slated to perform one of the others. Should be worth recording!

Lastyear said...

I believe No Country For Old Men will win.There Will Be Blood is too quirky.Juno to light.Atonement may have a chance since the academy has had a past tendency to vote for English period pieces.Michael Clayton I thought a well done film but I had the feeling Ive seen it before.Daniel Day Lewis will probably win altho I thought Tommy Lee Jones did a terrific job.Julie Christie will win.Marion Cotillard I thought was terrible-way over the top and cringe inducing.I just wish Zodiac and Assassination of Jesse James hadn't been ignored.