Thursday, February 7, 2008

Robert Towne's Personal Best Hits DVD


I have been so busy with school lately that I haven't noticed a lot of stuff hitting DVD. I was thrilled to find out that Robert Towne's excellent 1982 Drama Personal Best finally hit DVD this week. The film, starring Scott Glenn and an extraordinary Mariel Hemingway, has long been out of print on the home video market so the new DVD is an extremely welcome one.
Towne will always be known primarily as a screenwriter but a viewing of Personal Best shows he is a director of considerable skill and style. I have always wished he would have directed more (currently he has only completed four features with Personal Best being his debut).
I haven't gotten the DVD, which features a commentary from Towne, yet but it is near the top of my list of new release wants. Give it a look if you have never seen it before or if it has just been a long time.

5 comments:

Ned Merrill said...

Jeremy,

It is good to see more love for PERSONAL BEST. It's long been a favorite of mine and one of my most wanted DVDs. The new disc looks great. The commentary with Towne, Glenn, and Kenny Moore is pretty good, but would have been much better with Hemingway and Patrice Donnelly participating.
I wrote a little bit about the new release over at my blog.

Steve Langton said...

Good to hear this one is out, Jeremy. Another one to add to my list.
I'll be sure to check out your blog, Ned, and look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

It's great to hear that this is hitting DVD. I always loved this movie. It's one of my favorite films from my youth. I thought Mariel Hemingway was splendid here. She was quite beautiful here too.

Ned Merrill said...

another interesting note about Towne's small directorial filmography, 2 films are sports dramas [track & field]: PERSONAL BEST & WITHOUT LIMITS and 2 might be considered films noir: TEQUILA SUNRISE & ASK THE DUST.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Ned,
I should have mentioned that it was your blog that I first saw news of this release! So thanks for that...and thanks for the notes on the disc. I can't wait to give it a look...

Thanks for the comments Steve and hope you enjoy the disc...

Thanks Keith,
Mariel is a favorite and I am thrilled to see one of her best films coming back out...

Good point Ned...I really love Tequila Sunrise as well and would love to see a special edition of it down the line...