Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Shelby Lynne's Just A Little Lovin'

Just wanted to take the opportunity to give a huge recommendation to the new album by Shelby Lynne, which just got a four star review in the newest Mojo. Inspired by the work of Dusty Springfield, and featuring nine songs originally performed by her, Lynne’s Just A Little Lovin’ is a really remarkable recording and one of the most refreshingly subtle and low key I have heard in a long time.
I rarely buy modern music anymore, but I always make an exception for Virginia born Lynne, a performer who in the past decade has proven herself as one of the most original and brave American artists on the scene. This new album continues to push away the over-production that plagued some of her earlier records and, along with Phil Ramone and Al Schmitt, she has crafted one of the most quietly seductive albums I have heard in years. You would have to go to go all the way back to some of Frank Sinatra’s legendary recordings with Antonio Carlos Jobim to find a more resoundingly hushed album.

Kick starting with an aching rendering of “Just A Little Lovin” and closing with a lovely “How Can I Be Sure”, the album is absolutely the ‘minor masterpiece’ that Fred Dellar calls it in the new Mojo. If it lacks the urgency of past work like My Name Is Shelby Lynne, then it at least makes up for it in sheer soulfulness and when she sings Bacharach’s “Anyone Who Had A Heart” and ‘The Look Of Love” it is among the best things this fiery individualist has ever released.
The album, which by the way was recorded at Capitol’s legendary Studio A where Sinatra layed down many of his finest tracks, also includes one Lynne original, the marvelous “Pretend” which captures the soul fused period of the late sixties absolutely perfectly.
I suspect I will only buy a handful of new CD releases this year. I have no doubt Lynne’s newest will remain one of the finest. For more info on Shelby, please visit her official site linked above…and for more reviews of the new album, check Metacritic here. Also, if you have never had a chance to see Lynne live, make sure you do so if you get a chance as she puts on a magnificently rough and tumble show.


Rogue Spy 007 said...

I don't buy a lot of modern music myself. I do really like Shelby. I'll definitely have to get this one. It sounds wonderful. Great view. I always loved the music of Dusty Springfield. It will be cool to hear Shelby's take on "Look of Love." That's my fav Dusty tune. It's a shame that more artists of today just don't capture my love and attention.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...Those Dusty recordings in the sixties are so amazing and this is a really nice tribute...I know what you mean about today's artists...I am psyched for the new Goldfrapp as I hear it is a return to their Morricone-esque debut.

Howard said...

Naturally the brilliant brains at Universal have pulled this song and all others by her. God forbid anyone should want to listen to a cut. The record business has not died, it has been murdered by the corporate assholes who are only in it for the money.