Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Anthony Minghella R.I.P.


I was very surprised and saddened to hear today that Oscar winning director Anthony Minghella has past away at the shockingly young age of 54. I liked his films a lot and admired him greatly. One thing that always struck me about Anthony was that he typically made the kind of films I wouldn't be interested in (epic period based dramas aren't really my thing) but due to his incredibly sharp cinematic eye, intelligence and great casting skills I always ended up loving them. The Talented Mr. Ripley is my favorite but I have always felt Cold Mountain was extremely underrated. Oddly enough I just recently picked up a used copy of Breaking And Entering and have been meaning to watch it and now I wish I had sooner.
Minghella seemed like a very nice man and my thoughts are with his family, friends and co-workers who I am sure are in a state of shock right now. His unfortunately small body of work will be remembered for generations to come.

3 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I was shocked and saddened by his passing. I could hardly believe it. The film of his I most loved and admired was The Talented Mr. Ripley. I was thinking of it recently after seeing Alain Delon in Purple Noon. It's a shame that so many wonderful talents are passing on. R.I.P.

Jeremy Richey said...

Really sad news...Talented Mr. Ripley is an amazing film and a great companion to Purple Noon...

J.D. said...

I too loved The Talented Mr. Ripley. It really captured a specific mood and atmosphere that transports me every time I watch it. The attention to period detail and music was fantastic -- in some respects, it is like this wonderfully shot travelogue of Europe. And, of course, he Minghella drew some incredible performances from his cast -- have Matt Damon, Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow done anything better since?