Monday, March 24, 2008

Photos With George Romero and Others at The Full Moon Horror Festival


This weekend was an exciting one as my girlfriend Kelley and I got to attend a Midnight screening of George Romero's Diary Of The Dead with Romero himself introducing the film, plus we were able to attend the Full Moon Horror Festival and meet the man himself along with a few other favorites.
I am going to save a full post on Diary Of The Dead until I can see it again when I am more alert (let's just say that I am officially getting old as the Midnight hour is not my hour). Still, I will say that Diary Of The Dead is, in my opinion, the best film Romero has made since Day Of The Dead and yes possibly even Dawn. Whereas my excitement for Cloverfield lessened substantially just a day or so after seeing the film my feelings towards Diary Of The Dead are growing stronger with each minute. I really can't wait to see it again. For Romero to deliver a work this brave and pulverizing his fourth decade in is quite astounding. I must make mention of the last image in the film as well as it is one of the most disturbing and haunting I have seen in a very, very long time (the last scene and line gave me the same feeling the final moment in Cannibal Holocaust did the first time I saw it years ago...that's how powerful it is)...hats off to Romero for having more guts and fire left in him than most filmmakers can even imagine.
So, here are some pics...wish I had some more but I hope these will prove enjoyable.

***Click on each for better resolution if you'd like***

No that's not one of Romero's zombies standing next to the great man, but Mr. Moon In the Gutter himself. Romero liked my Marvin Gaye shirt and he also liked that I chose a photo of him and Argento for him to sign. He left room for Dario's signature sometime in the future so cross your fingers for me!

Here is Kelley and her new friend George...obviously George took more of a shine to her but who can blame him???

No your eyes aren't deceiving you...that is me and Adrienne Barbeau in the flesh and yes she is still as cool as ever. Extremely nice as well and I must admit that I was quite nervous standing next to Stevie Wayne herself!

Here is Kelley with Adrienne and she is still taking a better picture than me.

Here I am with Dee Wallace-Stone who was extremely sweet and nice to talk to. I am adding up how many times I have seen The Howling in this pic and have just got to the double digits as it was snapped and I am still counting.

Kelley, still looking great, is wondering why she has never seen Cujo...something that will be rectified soon.

And a couple more various shots of the convention...it was great fun and I can't wait till the next one. Thanks to the three special guests above who were all so incredibly friendly and generous with their time...

7 comments:

aaron said...

Some great photos here, Jeremy! Thanks for posting 'em.

I met Romero in a similar setting at a horror convention in Toronto a couple of years back -- so damned friendly. I had him sign a classic issue of "Cinefantastique".

Brandon Colvin said...

I should have a review of "Diary" popping up in the next couple of days at Out 1. I hope you can possibly argue me out of some of my problems with the film.

Steve Langton said...

Really great to see such terrific photos. Can't wait to see this film after reading your comments. I love LAND OF THE DEAD and this sounds like it's even better. Won't be able to see this at a cinema but the DVD is in my rental list for its June release. Thanks for sharing your evening with us.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Aaron...he really is that friendly isn't he and so down to earth. It was a real pleasure...

Sorry Brandon, I will probably have to wait on discussing the film until I can see it again more awake. I really don't do well late at night. I thought it had some problems as well so I will be curious to read your thoughts...

Thanks Steve,
I liked LAND OF THE DEAD but this really blows that out of the water in my opinion...I will look forwrad to hearing what you think...

Rogue Spy 007 said...

These are some awesome photos, Jeremy. That's so cool that you got a chance to meet these amazing talents. Not only that, but you and your girlfriend got your pictures taken with them. You're one lucky guy. I am interested in your review. It will be cool to see what you think of it. I've been wondering how good it is. I'm hearing a lot of good reaction so far from people that have seen it.

Robert Monell said...

Wish I could have been there to meet with George. I'm really high on this film but would like to see it several more times. I didn't like the style of DAY or LAND, but this really goes back to NIGHT and DAWN OF THE DEAD in terms of originality. So I'm waiting for your further thoughts/

Guillaume said...

Great photos Jeremy!

You're so lucky...meeting Big John and then George Romero...wow!!!

DIARY will be released here in June,i'll catch the film on the big screen even if Romero's last film,LAND OF THE DEAD,left me a bit cold.