Saturday, April 5, 2008

Some Came Running Hitting DVD

One of my favorite films from the fifties is finally hitting DVD next month, courtesy of a stand alone widescreen DVD and a new Frank Sinatra box set.
Filmed in lovely Madison, Indiana in 1958, Vincent Minnelli's Oscar Nominated Some Came Running is melodrama at its finest and features one of the best casts of the decade including Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine and in one of his career best performances, Dean Martin.
I'll be honest and say that I am not a big fan of these big budget fifties melodramas typically but I have always found this Minnelli film (taken from an original novel by From Here To Eternity author James Jones) to be a really remarkable and moving one. Its release on DVD is long overdue and very welcome.
Other films in the very reasonably priced Sinatra set include The Man With The Golden Arm, The Tender Trap, None But The Brave and Marriage On The Rocks.

7 comments:

dino martin peters said...

hey pallie Jeremy, dude like thanks for sharin' the great news 'bout "Some Came Running" and the frankie set will also include "Marriage On the Rocks"...both stellar flicks featurin' our Dino....this is indeed such good Dinonews...and did you also know that 'nother of the Rat Pack flicks...."Sergeants 3" releases on the same Dinoday....a real Dinofeast is instore for all true Dinoholics.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I was very thrilled when I heard this news. I feel "Some Came Running" is one of the strongest performances by Dean Martin. I would love to get the whole set. I've only also seen "Marriage on the Rocks." This would be a great collection of Sinatra films. Plus, of course, I get to see the coolest cat ever...Dino!

Brandon Colvin said...

It was James Jones, not James Joyce.

Jeremy Richey said...

Ha Ha Brandon...Jesus, typo of the decade!!! Thanks for pointing that out to me...God, some of the mistakes I make when I do these quick posts!!!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Dino,
I didn't know about Sergeeants 3 so that is fantastic news...also thrilled to see Marriage on the Rocks again as it has been a log time...

Thanks Keith,
Dean is amazing in Some Came Running...can't wait for this disc...

Brandon Colvin said...

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty awesome typo, as well. Haha.

Pete Emslie said...

Jeremy, I'm happy to say that I read this good news here first. It will be great to have "Some Came Running" on DVD, as well as my being able to see "Marriage on the Rocks" for the first time. Yep, somehow that film has eluded me all my life. Same with "Sergeants 3".