Monday, May 12, 2008

Tagged Twice

Now that I have a little more time on my hands I can hopefully have more of an opportunity to participate in any “Meme” invitations I might receive. Recently I was tagged by both Kimberly at the always essential Cinebeats and Bob at the always wonderful Eternal Sunshine Of The Logical Mind for a Meme with the following rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Locate the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing…
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

So thanks to both Kimberly and Bob for tagging me and since I was tagged twice here are two selections.
I’ve been working my way through several books as of late with one being the Fab Press published Making Friday The 13th: The Legend of Camp Blood by Dave Grove.
This 2005 book is quite a nostalgic blast and is crammed full with information concerning every film in the series, as well as hundreds of eye popping behind the scenes photos, films stills and promotional materials. Grove’s writing is very nice and the book seems to me to be pretty damn definitive on the subject of The Friday series (although I haven’t had a chance to get Peter Bracke’s Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday The 13th yet.)

Here are those sentences from page 123 describing a behind the scenes story regarding one of the key moments in Part 4: The Final Chapter:

"In a twist on the scene in Friday the 13th Part 2 where Ginny impersonated Pamela Voorhees, Tommy shaves his head and darkens his eyes to distract Jason Voorhees into thinking he's seeing his younger self so Trish can attack. Rather than have Feldman shave his head, Savini applied a latex cover over Feldman's head, which was problematic since the latex appliance restricted the actor's circulation and made him sick during filming. Savini and Zito were concerned, prior to shooting the scene, whether Jason would be fooled by Tommy's deception."

Another film book I have been working through is one I read about twenty years ago that I recently revisited. Susan Dworkin's Double De Palma is a fascinating, if occasionally frustrating, look at Brian De Palma on the set of Body Double. Published by NewMarket in 1984, this book has some wonderful anecdotes, great stills and you really get a sense of what the great De Palma is like on the set and in life...however occasionally Dworkin's writing ventures off target a bit for me with too much contextualizing. Flipping to page 123, I found these sentences centering on a scene between actors Craig Wasson and Deborah Shelton.

"'Right after you called, my wife called,' Craig said. 'She's here now. I'm kind of in a strange situation.'"

I’m tagging
Steve Langton at The Last Picture Show
Mr. Peel at Mr. Peel’s Sardine Liqueur
Mariana at Gatochy
Brandon Colvin at Out One
And
J.D. at Radiator Heaven

All five can definitely feel free to not participate of course and I apologize to any of the above who have already been tagged numerous times for this.

5 comments:

Cinebeats said...

Thanks for participating Jeremy! The Friday the 13th book sounds fun and I hadn't heard of it before.

Jeremy Richey said...

No problem Kimberly,
The Friday book is really excellent and I highly recommend it.
Thanks again.

Mariana said...

Hi, Jeremy, thanks for the meme.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Very cool. It was great to learn about both of these books. I had gotten tagged myself by Tenebrous Kate. I posted mine over at my blog. I really would love the Friday the 13th book.

Jeremy Richey said...

No problem Mariana...I always really enjoy visiting your blog.

Thanks Keith,
I enjoyed yours and didn't tag you because someone already had.