Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Welcome Return

I’ll be honest and admit that I am not too excited about the new Indiana Jones film. Now I don’t mean that as a swipe on the series or Spielberg, but it’s just never been one of my cinematic passions. A quick review of the series for me would be really admiring the original while not caring much at all for the sequels. Still, I will see the new one and I hope it turns out to be good, if just for the fact that I know a lot of people’s summers seem to be depending on it.
One thing I am excited about is the return of Karen Allen to the big screen. Allen's among that special group of actors who came out of the late seventies that for some reason never really got the attention, respect and recognition they desrved. She's been a favorite of mine since I first saw her in Raiders Of The Lost Ark just after my eighth birthday and I am glad to see her back.
Allen hasn't appeared in a film in nearly five years, with her role James Toback's underrated When Will I Be Loved being her most recent, so her surprising return to the series many fans know her most from is a very welcome one. I hope David Koepp's screenplay allows her some ample screen time and her role just isn't a glorified cameo.
Either way, I am thrilled to see the still vibrant Karen Allen returning. I hope it leads to many more parts for her. I've always been more curious as to what happened to Marion Ravenwood rather than Indiana Jones, so for that reason alone I will be in line for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull opening weekend.


Steve Langton said...

Great shout re Karen. Like you, I'm not really an Indie fan but my wife loves the series so I've promised I'll take her to see The Crystal Skull at a new cinema which opens later this month. I'm probably more excited by at long last having a theatre within reasonable travelling distance, than seeing this particular film but hope we all enjoy it.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I enjoyed the previous movies, but it's been so many years I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Plus I know what Lucas did with the Star Wars movies when he returned with them. I am excited to see Karen Allen back. I can't even remember the last time I saw her. I don't think she's gotten the attention she deserved. I do hope it's more than just a cameo.

J.D. said...

Well, I'm a huge fan of the Indy series with RAIDERS being my fave as I saw it at an impressionable age and it really wowed me at the time and, having watched it a few months ago, has aged well. As has Karen Allen. In the recent for this new INDY film she looks great. The years have been kind.

I am stoked to see her in this one and just to see Harrison Ford don the ol' fedora one more time. The only thing that makes me apprehensive is the presence of Shia Lebeouf as the Short Round/sidekick of this film. There's a lot of buzz around this kid but he does nothing for me. Both DISTURBIA and TRANSFORMERS left me underwhelmed. Of course, he had very little to work with, but still...

Anyways, looking forward to the new Indy film.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
Glad to hear a theater is close now. I wish we could geta decent one around here...

Thanks Keith,
I think this will be much better than those new Star Wars least God I hope so.

Thanks JD,
She does stll look great doesn't she. Honestly I don't think I have seen Shia in anything...perhaps I have and am just forgetting.
Either way, I do hope the film turns out to be a good one for all involved...thanks again