Thursday, May 15, 2008

You'll Be Missed John

I am very saddened to hear the news, courtesy of Tim Lucas at Video Watchblog, that the wonderful John Phillip Law has passed away. I am a huge fan of John's and this is really just extremely bad news. To follow Kimberly's lead from Cinebeats, here are some of my favorite films that the beautiful and talented Law appeared in. My best to his friends and family...he will be greatly missed.

The Russians are Coming The Russians are Coming (1966): I'm not as sold on this Norman Jewison film as some I know, but I love John's work in it. He is positively beautiful in the film.

Death Rides a Horse (1967): John is terrific in this Giulio Petroni Spaghetti Western, one of the best of the genre, opposite Lee Van Cleef.

Diabolik (1968): Mario Bava's masterful film contains probably the definitive John Phillip Law role and after watching him here it is near impossible to imagine anyone else playing this part. He's wonderful in it and his commentary track with Tim on the DVD is one of the best I have ever heard.

Barbarella (1968): Who could ever forget John as the angel Pygar opposite Jane Fonda in Roger Vadim's trippy classic?

The Last Movie (1971): John was one of many memorable faces who appeared in Hopper's iconic and controversial film.

Open Season (1974): John gives one of his best performances opposite Peter Fonda in this disturbing Peter Collinson production. I wish I still had a copy of this.

Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974): Terrific Gordon Hessler directed fantasy that gives John one of his most iconic roles. His scenes with beautiful Caroline Munro are among my favorites of his career.

The Cassandra Crossing (1978): John joins an all star cast in this exciting and intriguing George P. Cosmatos film.

Blood Delirium (1988): Underrated and disturbing Italian thriller from Sergio Bergonzelli gives John one of his great late period roles. Ranks among his best performances in front of the camera for my money.

CQ (2001): Roman Coppola's film is one of my favorites from the decade and it was wonderful seeing John appear in it. Still incredible looking and charismatic, his performance was just one of the films many joys.


J.D. said...

Damn, that sucks.

I love DANGER: DIABOLIK - crazy avant pop film and you're right, the commentary with Law and Tim Lucas kicks ass. Law has to have one of THE coolest voices ever (right up there with Lee Marvin).

Steve Langton said...

Another great guy no longer with us. Really sorry to read about this. John's role in Danger: Diabolik will always be part of my big-screen memories.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I saw this first on Kimberly's Cinebeats blog. I was stunned and saddened. I'm a huge John Phillip Law fan. The man had it all, looks and talent. He made so much films that I enjoyed, including "Danger: Diabolik" and "Barbarella." It was quite seeing him in "CQ." R.I.P. John