Friday, June 27, 2008

Ebert's Take on Harry Moseby


Although I have never really stated completely why I named my seventies blog Harry Moseby Confidential, the reason is actually fairly simple. Arthur Penn's 1975 film Night Moves is my favorite American film of the seventies. There, I said it and I will stand by it.
The film obsesses me and has for many years now. I find myself watching it more than any other and certain scenes (and its extraordinary unreleased Michael Small score) play in my head constantly. I love the film and regard Gene Hackman's performance as Private Detective Harry Moseby as one of the best I have ever seen, so I was thrilled to see Roger Ebert including his original 4 star 1975 review in his Overlooked DVD of the week column. Check it out if you haven't read it before or if it's been awhile.
As to why I haven't written on the film or posted much of anything on it. Well, it's just one of those handful of films like Kieslowski's Red or Figgis' Leaving Las Vegas that just feels too damn personal to me. I really wouldn't even know how to begin writing on it but who knows, maybe one day I'll give it a shot.

8 comments:

Ibetolis said...

Spooky timing.

I just about to watch Night Moves, for the first ever time, this weekend.

Ohhhhh, the anticipation is at breaking point.

Roger Leatherwood said...

I agree - an awesome 70s film about lost innocence, failed potential, Watergate, sex, and mortality.

Gene Hackman really knew how to pick 'em ("Scarecrow," anyone?). But when things like this didn't work financially, he slowly moved towards "Hoosiers." (Nothing against "Hoosiers"!)

Keep up the good work.
Roger L.

Jeremy Richey said...

Hope you enjoy it Ibetolis (and thanks for all the continuing support here). It is a bit of a slow burnier so if it doesn't totally capture you that first time give it another chance a few months down the road. It's a remarkable film...

Thanks Roger,
Isn't it great? SCARECROW is up there for me as well. Gene was on Larry King a few years back and named SCARECROW as his favorite film and Al has his favorite costar which was thrilling as I heard there was tension between the two of them. They are two of my favorite actors so I love that they are both so complimentary to each other now.
Thanks for stopping by and offering up the nice words.

Steve Langton said...

Great film. I reckon you should give it a go someday and pen a review. I'm sure it would be up to your usual high standards. Favourite films are always difficult to write about (Red is one of my own list that I'm not sure I could do justice to) but my money is on you.

Ned Merrill said...

Love NIGHT MOVES and its score by Michael Small. Unfortunately, as per Lukas Kendall of Film Score Monthly, the master tapes no longer exist. Otherwise, FSM would have released this score long ago.

J.D. said...

I love SCARECROW as well. What a great film and it's amazing to see two acting heavies like Hackman and Pacino in a film together before they became legends.

Hey Jeremy, any chance you'll do a piece on this film on yer '70s blog? Seems ripe for you to tackle...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
Great to hear that you a fan of the film as well...

So the tapes have been lost Ned? God, that is such a tragedy. Is there an article detailing that? That is just terrible as I have dreamed about a soundtrack relesae for this for years...thanks for the info and comments...

Thanks J.D.
I plan on doing a Tribute Week to both SCARECROW and NIGHT MOVES in the future at Harry Moseby...thanks for the continuing comments...

J.D. said...

Tributes to both SCARECROW and NIGHT MOVES? Awesome.