Friday, June 27, 2008

Jesus and Mary Chain Get Boxed

the jesus and mary chain
I was thrilled to hear yesterday that the long awaited Jesus and Mary Chain Box Set, The Power of Negative Thinking: B-Sides & Rarities has been finally granted a solid release date. The 4 CD Rhino produced set streets on September 30th and promises to be one of the most intense and powerful of all time. Long time fans of the Brothers Reid will know that, like Siouxsie and the Banshees and My Bloody Valentine among others, a lot of their best material was relegated to b-sides and compilation albums. I've waited for years for this stuff to be compiled together and can't wait to get my hands on this monster. The full track listing and press release can be viewed here but I haven't yet found a link to the artwork. There's some stuff on here I haven't heard before and some favorites like their Syd Barrett cover "Vegetable Man", a beautiful acoustic take of the sizzling "Teenage Lust" and their explosive Elvis tribute "Guitar Man" are reappearing for the first time in years...I can't bloody wait.

7 comments:

J.D. said...

Awesome news, Jeremy! Thanks! I had heard about this awhile ago but forgot about because of the delay of the release but I'm glad Rhino finally got their act together. As a long time Mary Chain fan I will definitely picking this sucker up even though I have quite a few of these tracks. Unfortunately, some of them were on vinyl and so it will be nice to finally get them on CD. These guys are, hands down, my fave band of all-time.

So, Jeremy, what is your fave album of theirs?

If I go with songwriting, STONED AND DETHRONED without a doubt, and also for intensely personal reasons, but I also really like almost all the songs on HONEY'S DEAD.

Jeremy Richey said...

Believe it or not J.D. but I think my favorite album of theirs is their often overlooked final LP MUNKI...a sprawling and intense ride that for me solidified everything that had made them great on their previous albums...after that it is probably HONEY'S DEAD or DARKLANDS...absolutely love them and a gig I saw them give with Mazzy Star on the STONED AND DETHRONED tour is still one of the best I have ever seen...extraordinary band!

J.D. said...

Jeremy:

Glad to hear some love for MUNKI. I really dig this album too. It's very underrated, IMO and features some of my fave songs of theirs on it. Good call!

Yeah, I too saw them on that tour with Mazzy Star. Good memories from that gig. It was so incredible to see them live, I sure hope to see them again now that it looks like they've reformed (for the time being).

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks J.D.
Yea, that gig with Mazzy Star is forever cemented in my brain. The moment when Hope Sandoval came out for their encore was sublime and then they blew the roof of the place with REVERENCE (I couldn't hear for days!) Ah, the good ol' days.

Steve Langton said...

An essential purchase for sure. I remember the only time I caught them live (Nottingham Rock City), and still savour the memory. Think I'd plump for Honey's Dead as my fave album.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
HONEY'S DEAD is such a classic..."Reverence" is one of the all time great opening tracks and that entire first side is just perfect (and side two is pretty damn clsoe as well)...thanks again

Gaikokujin said...

I just came across your blog and was pleased to see your entry about JAMC. They're my definitely my favorite band. I remember them from the "Darklands"-era, but I only recently really got into them. It's really hard for me to pick a favorite album...probably "Honey's Dead" but I'll throw a vote in for "Hate Rock and Roll". That one seems to get overlooked often. Not only does it have the title track which is great, but also "Something I Can't Have" (wonderful), "In With The Out Crowd" (which always makes me chuckle) and "Little Stars", which is absolutely my favorite song by them off of any album.
I envy you guys: while I have friends who have seen them, I never have, and they probably aren't going to be playing in my backyard anytime soon...