Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Currently in my Head: Michael Penn - Try (Directed By Paul Thomas Anderson

Perhaps it's because of the recent passing of Sydney Pollack that this audacious and quite stunning video made in tribute to They Shoot Horses Don't They by Paul Thomas Anderson during the shooting of Boogie Nights has been on my mind, or perhaps it's my recent inability to stop listening to Penn's wife newest album that did the trick...whatever it is, this clip and song are still stunners a decade later. The shot of Melora Walters at the two minute mark still gives me chills and brings a sadly nostalgic smile to my face.


Joe said...

One of my favorite music videos of all time. I'm glad it was included on the 2-disc version of Boogie Nights; I've often thought it's the perfect short film to watch before the movie itself. Thanks for posting this, Jeremy.

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Joe,
I absolutely love this clip and like you I was glad they included it on the BOOGIE NIGHTS dvd. I seem to remember a commentary by Anderson on it as well.
I tell you one of my favorite bonus features ever on a DVD is "The John C. Reilly Files" on that disc with outtakes from Michael Penn's scenes...seriously some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen.