Monday, July 14, 2008

Hitchcock Reissues

I'm sure everyone here has already seen these but, just in case, here are the front covers to the new Alfred Hitchcock reissues. All of them have enough new bonus material I think to warrant a double dip and the full specs can be read over at DVD Active for those interested. I'm especially excited about the following new materials on these undeniable classics:

Vertigo features a brand new commentary from William Friedkin!

Psycho features a couple of new featurettes.

Rear Window also features new featurettes.

The Premiere Collection finally puts some key works, including Rebecca, Spellbound and Notorious, back in print and features tons of new supplements including documentaries, archival footage and commentaries. The stand alone releases might be enticing but this set seems absolutely essential.


Adam Ross said...

The Premiere Collection is big news -- the out of print Criterion versions are spendy, and have unexciting extras. A definite buy for me. I have the Masterpiece Collection, so I won't double dip on the other three, even though I'm usually a fool for the Legacy Series. Having been blown away by the Vistavision visuals of "The Searchers" on HD-DVD, I can't imagine how impressive "Vertigo" will be when it comes to Blu-Ray.

Steve Langton said...

Doubt I'll be able to afford this collection but it does indeed look absolutely essential.As Adam says, the Blu-Ray Vertigo should be very impressive whenever it arrives and I'd love to see The Birds on this format too.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I don't actually have any Hitchcock films on DVD. I'm pretty ashamed to say that. I don't know why though I don't though. I've seen probably most of his films.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks for all the comments...The Premiere Collection looks absolutely essential.

Ed Howard said...

The Searchers, much like Vertigo and Rear Window, is apparently really screwed up on DVD in terms of colors. Personally, not having seen original prints myself, I don't think the Ford film looks bad at all, but both Hitchcock films often look very strange and the colors seem off on all current DVDs. Yes, it's "restored" and very clean, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good restoration. I have every Hitch film after 1940 on DVD at this point, and just about the only thing that would make me double-dip now would be new, more accurate transfers of Vertigo and Rear Window, especially since the latter is my favorite Hitchcock film.

The Premiere Collection looks worthwhile for those who don't already have most of those films, but for those who do, it's very frustrating to me that, for example, The Paradine Case isn't available separately.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Ed,
I'll be curious to see if these new discs feature new transfers or if they are basically just ported over. I wasn't aware that the Premier collection titles wouldn't be available as that is disappointing.