Sunday, August 10, 2008

I'll Miss You Isaac



I am in Memphis right now for my yearly trip for Elvis week. Earlier today, just across town, one of the most important artists in popular music history passed away at the age of 65.
I will be unable to post a proper tribute to Isaac Hayes until after the 16th (The posts that will appear here this week were actually prepared last week while I was still at home) when I return home, but it will be a big one. He has been one of my favorite singers, songwriters, arrangers and actors for many years and he will be honored accordingly here at Moon in the Gutter.
God bless Isaac Hayes and his family. You can feel the sadness in this town tonight...just outside my hotel room I have been hearing people singing bits and pieces of songs from the man's remarkable career...he will be missed and I am frankly just broken up by the news.

3 comments:

Steve Langton said...

Hadn't heard about this til I logged on here. Very sad news about a great artist.
Hope you have an enjoyable week in Memphis.

The King Of Cool said...

I was so sad to hear this news. He was always one of my favorites. I'm still shocked to hear of his passing. He will be sorely missed.

I do hope you'll have a great time in Memphis.

Cheers!

J.D. said...

First Bernie Mac and then Isaac Hayes. What a cruel one-two punch. I love Hayes' music and, of course, his appearance as the Duke of NY in ESCAPE FROM NY is one of my all-time faves.