Friday, September 26, 2008

Starting Next Week at Moon in the Gutter: A Month Long Celebration of The Night He Came Home

Halloween BHS 2

This October marks the 30th anniversary of John Carpenter's incredibly influential Halloween, and I couldn't let the celebration go by without something special, so starting next week at Moon in the Gutter I will be offering up some sporadic visual and written tributes to the film which will stretch throughout my favorite month of the year. Throughout October you'll learn about:

Halloween BHS 3

My special regional connection to the film and why it still means so much to me all these years later.

My nostalgic feelings for the very flawed Halloween 2 and especially the television version of it.

Why I think Laurie Strode is one for the key female characters in all of modern American cinema.

How the seventies couldn't have happened without P.J. Soles.

My hatred for Parts 4, 5 and 6 and my admiration for H2O.

Halloween BHS 4

Plus the usual number of screenshots, wallpapers, some Halloween related polls, and perhaps some surprises as well. I realize Halloween has been covered to death but I will try to bring a personal touch to a film that has haunted my memories for most of my life.

Halloween BHS 1

The usual posts will continue here as well (and also at Fascination and Nostalgia Kinky) but I hope everyone will get a kick out of my upcoming special tribute to one of the greatest of all American films.


J.D. said...

This is awesome news, Jeremy. I'm a huge Carpenter fan and love this film as well. I can't wait to see it be given your comprehensive and personal treatment.

What did you think of HALLOWEEN III? I think it is somewhat underrated and not deserving of the crappy treatment it has received in the past.

Oh yeah, and October's my fave month too.

Neil Sarver said...

I agree. This is a terrific idea. I'm looking forward to hearing more about all of those things, especially the P.J. Soles thing, actually... although the Laurie Strode post is coming in a close second.

Brandon Colvin said...

Remember that one time we met John Carpenter and he said that having his films taught in film schools was "better than getting [his] ass kicked."

Good good times.

October is my favorite month too.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
I actually really dig HALLOWEEN III, even though I wished they would have just called it SEASON OF THE WITCH and removed it as part of the series. What a great storyline that film has though and it really holds up...hope you enjoy the tribute!

Thanks Neil,
Yea, your going to see some serious love thrown at PJ and Jamie here in October. Hope you enjoy the tribute as well.

Thanks Brandon,
That meeting with Carpenter is sealed on my brain forever...what a great two days. That quote is a classic. Isn't October great? I really hope it is fall like Temp wise and doesn't stay this hot or get too cold...

Cinebeats said...

Wonderful idea. I look forward to your month long celebration of Halloween, Jeremy!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
Hope you enjoy it...

Steve Langton said...

Sign me up for that one! A really great idea, and can't wait to read this extended tribute. October is my favourite month, too. Shame we don't really go for Halloween celebrations too much over here. We would if it was left to me.
Like you, I do rate H20 and it's my favourite film of the series (apart the original of course), and I'm a big Season Of The Witch fan. A seriously underrated film!

Keith said...

Hey Jeremy. This is great news. Wow. I'm so excited. I can't wait to see all you do. I'm a big Carpenter fan myself. Plus this film is amazing. I still enjoy watching it today. It never gets old. Good luck with your endeavors. I look forward to your blogging.

colinrudge0380 said...

Sounds fantastic Jeremy!