Friday, October 17, 2008

Levi Stubbs: Rest in Peace

Four Tops

I was saddened to just learn that the great Four Tops lead singer Levi Stubbs has passed away. Stubbs voices was ingrained in me early on as one of the essential albums of my childhood was my mom's copy of the soaring 1970 Tops platter Still Waters Run Deep.
To offer up a little tribute, here is the last scene to one of my favorite films, 1975's Cooley High, set to The Four Tops majestic and moving smash "Reach Out I'll Be There" from their stunning Reach Out lp. The song, still one of the greatest ever recorded, shows Stubbs at the height of his power and these last moments from Cooley High set to it never fail to choke me up. My best to the friends, fans and family of Levi Stubbs.

3 comments:

Keith said...

That's sad to hear. He will be sorely missed. R.I.P.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...he was terrific and really made a mark.

J.D. said...

Here's is Billy Bragg's wonderful tribute to Levi Stubbs. It gets me every time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4v8VJ0LRgA