Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Post Number 1,000.

Claude Jade 1

This is post number 1,000 at Moon in the Gutter, so I thought I would take the opportunity to reflect a bit on the past couple of years here and thank everyone who continues to visit. While many of my posts have been rather short notes and some just pictures, I have also done a lot of writing here…much more than I have ever done before. I have seen the question of ‘why blog?’ brought up a lot lately and, while I can’t answer for anyone else, the response in my case is easy. Simply put, I enjoy doing it. It gives me an outlet to celebrate different arts and artists that excite, move and fascinate me. My work here has also improved my abilities as a writer and continues to do so. While I’ve never had a problem admitting that essentially everything I do here is a first draft, and could use improving, I hope that my enthusiasm for my subjects has erased some of my admitted sloppiness. Revisiting older posts is sometimes a bit painful due to how much improving they need, but also exciting when I find one that I do want to rework and make better.
Moon in the Gutter has been really important to me as a fan and as a writer, and I am going to keep on rocking it as long as I keep getting solace and enjoyment from it.

I’ve been asked a lot over the past couple of year why I initially decided to call this blog ‘Moon in the Gutter’. I have honestly never had a simple answer for it. One of the titles I wrestled with early on included 'The Blog that Fell to Earth' but once I got 'Moon in the Gutter' in my head it just seemed right, and in hindsight I think it was the right choice. While I named it after the film by Jean Jacques Beineix, the title also has a musical connotation that might lead some people here thanks to Nick Cave, and of course David Goodis’ original novel brings the blog perhaps some hits due to a literary nature as well.

Even more importantly, the name Moon in the Gutter symbolizes for me the central idea I have been trying to get across from Day 1…namely that there is much to love in the ‘highest’ and ‘lowest’ art, and denying this is denying yourself some of the greatest films, records and books of all time. I have taken pride in the fact that one day I might be saluting a Kieslowski or Truffaut picture, while celebrating a film like Hostel Part II or a television show like Karen Sisco the next day. Moon in the Gutter has reflected my rather wild spectrum of tastes, and I have been amazed and thrilled to find like-minded souls who have chosen to go along with me. I’ve never understood art lovers who wish to limit themselves but of course it happens everyday. Perhaps it can be summed up by these shots, two from the chilling climax of maverick Spaniard director Amando de Ossorio's Tombs of the Blind Dead and then fellow Spaniard Pedro Almodovar mirroring the shots a quarter of a century later in Live Flesh.

Tombs of the Blind Dead 1

Live Flesh 3

Tombs of the Blind Dead 2

Live Flesh 2

From my years of managing a video store in the past I always encouraged people who dug critically cherished art house films like Almodovar’s to check out the so called exploitation and often maligned works of someone like de Ossorio. Many would not, and scoffed at the request, and all I can say is that it was and is their loss.

Of course, I know I have lost some folks along the way, a fact that I admit has bothered me but more than anything else I have tried to stay true to myself here, so I guess a bit of alienation is to be expected. The fact that I continue to get emails from people who stumbled across a post on a film that they thought only they liked, or occasionally people I have actually written about, really is just incredible for me. Nobody knows what the future will hold but I hope to keep rolling here at Moon in the Gutter and have a similar post like this one at number 5,000.

So consider this a long-winded thanks to the people who continue to visit and comment here. Every post here is personal in its own way, and it’s a really special thing to have people to share them with.

Claude Jade 4

Finally, it seems only fitting that I should begin and end this post with shots of Claude Jade, the first person I ever wrote on here at Moon in the Gutter.

26 comments:

Ibetolis said...

Congratulations Jeremy!

It was your blog, among a few others, that first inspired me to finally start my own. Your support in those first few months was greatly appreciated.

Long may your great blog continue, Moon in the Gutter is my daily staple and not only do I 'yelp' with joy when you celebrate one of my favourite movies, books or bands but you've also introduced me to loads that I've never heard of before.

Well done on hitting the 1,000 mark.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Ibetolis,
Please know that I continue to enjoy and vist your blog. You do terrific work and I am sorry I don't comment more. Keep up the great work and thanks so much for the nice words.

James Hansen said...

Congrats on big number 1000. That takes an enormous amount of work and dedication and you deserve many kudos.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks James,
I appreciate that and keep up the great work at Out 1, another of my favorite stops.

aaron said...

Jeremy,

Yours is one of my very favourite blogs for the way it's so unpredictable, but very, very personal. The fact that I never know what you'll be covering next is half the fun.

Long may you run!
Aaron

Tony Dayoub said...

Thanks for continuing to share your distinct view on film. Cinema should truly have no boundaries.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Aaron and Tony,
I love what both of you do as well and appreciate all the support here.

Steve Langton said...

Warmest congrats on this milestone. I try to visit on a daily basis if at all possible, and would like to thank you for helping me better understand and appreciate so many films and albums. Iknow we all appeciate your responses to comments we leave, and I'd like to wish you continuing success and recognition for all your work, which includes your articles for Amplifier.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Steve,
You know how much I admire your work and I continue to appreciate your support. Thanks again...

J.D. said...

Congrats on hitting 1,000. Wow, I can't imagine reaching that kind of a milestone. Your blog was definitely the primary inspiration for me becoming more proactive in the blogosphere so for that I am eternally indebted.

I know, personally, your eclectic tastes in films, music and everything else is what keeps me coming back day after day. It is also eerie the number of films and albums that we happen to converge on so there's that too.

But I think that what makes your blog so good is the passion in which you instill on all of the topics you right about. And that is a rare thing these days. You are not just passionate about the things you like but you also make it personal which is what sets this blog apart from the zillions of others out there.

Anyways, well done!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD for the terrific and nice comments. I love Radiator Heaven and continue to find inspiration on your posts...keep up the great work and I hope you keep finding things of interest here...

Brandon Colvin said...

Hooray for Moon in the Gutter! I've been on board since you first directed me here to read your BOOGIE NIGHTS tributes and I must say the blog has progressed extremely well.

Congratulations, man.

Tim Lucas said...

I'm still a couple hundred and some posts away from hitting your milestone, Jeremy, so I know what you're investing in this project. Congratulations on this hard-work milestone!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Brandon for your continued support and friendship. Both mean a lot. I hope you keep digging it and keep up your own fabulous work.

Thanks Tim,
You were one of the main writers who inspired me to do this so thanks so much. It means a lot to me that you have continued to visit and find stuff of interest here. Thanks for the support, friendship and inspiration.

Mr. Peel said...

Many congratulations on this occasion to you Jeremy. What you pull off here on a regular basis is truly something to be proud of. My compliments and all my thanks to you for all the support you've seen fit to send my way. For me, this blog is a very valuable place to come to on the web.

Peter

Cinebeats said...

I'm amazed at your posting speed Jeremy! I'm nowhere near 1000 posts and I started my blog long before you did. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Mr. Peel and Kimberly.
You two have both been very inspiring to me and it means a lot to have you both visit and comment here. Hope you keep enjoying it.

Keith said...

Hey Jeremy. Congrats! That is so awesome. You've got an amazing page. Yours is one of my favorites out there. I'm always interested to see what you post next. Yours is also one of those that helped inspire me to get into blogging. I've learned so much from your blog. It's taught me things I didn't know about films that I had already seen, but also introduced me to films that I might never even have heard of. You are doing a great job here. I wish you the best with it in the future.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I appreciate all your support here and continue to enjoy your blogs.

The Flying Maciste Brothers said...

Whole hearted congratulations, JR!
Today is DESTRUCTIBLE MAN's first anniversary and I haven't posted since MARCH! So hat's off to someone who truly has earned the honor that 1000 astonishing posts can bring. And that honor is a guarantee that we'll all be eagerly awaiting the next 1000 posts!
Well done! More! More!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thank you Brother Maciste for the nice words and thoughts...I hope I can deliver a 1,000 more and look forward to your future posts and wish you a happy first birthday!

Jan said...

Jeremy, I believe I would like your blog even if I weren't family. I think your diversity and broad taste is one of the things that makes it so interesting. Whatever you do in the future, you should continue to write. You show remarkable expressive ability and insight.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Jan for the very nice words. Your support here has, of course, been very important and it really means a lot.

Guillaume said...

Keep up your great work Jeremy!
I like very much your blog,and it was so good to read you about FULL CIRCLE and WAKING THE DEAD,two of our favourites movies,like you already know!

colinrudge0380 said...

Happy 1,000th Post-birthday! Here's to the next thousand!

Bob Turnbull said...

Damn, I missed the initial flood of Congrats...Not too late though - well done Jeremy!

1000 posts! That's mind boggling...Especially when each is of such high quality. If you keep writing 'em, I'll keep reading 'em...B-)