Friday, November 7, 2008

2009: A dream year for Slasher film fans?

My Bloody Valentine

2009 is shaping up to be a dream year for Slasher film fans with several high profile special edition releases of some of the genre's most legendary films. Deluxe editions of at least the first three Friday the 13th films (including rumors of a 3D release of Part 3) are coming at the beginning of the year, as is the special edition of My Bloody Valentine. Still no word yet on whether the My Bloody Valentine disc will have the legendary cut footage reinstated in the film or whether it will be only in the special features, but either way it sounds like a dream disc for many of us who grew up with the film and have only dreamed about seeing the cut bits.
Fingers crossed for the success of these titles, as it might just alert some studios that there is indeed a high demand for uncut prints for many of these films. Even just bare bones releases of some of titles would be welcome as many favorites (my year would be made with just a release of Night School) are still completely missing on DVD.

5 comments:

Steve Langton said...

Sounds like there are some great titles in the pipeline and an uncut MFV would be terrific news. Shame these titles didn't see light of day before the economy took a nosedive and utility bills soared.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate the comments.

Keith said...

Man, I can't wait for these. I do hope we see more releases like this. I definitely want more uncut releases. I want to see the material that was cut out way back when. It will be awesome to see what it exactly looked like. It looks like a good time to be a horror fan.

J.D. said...

The trailer for the MBV remake doesn't totally suck and the 3D angle makes one think of the FRIDAY THE 13TH film that came out in 3D (Part III). If I'm not mistaken it is being directed by the same guy who made a trilogy of DRACULA films that I quite enjoyed and gave off a bit of a John Carpenter vibe in later installments.

As you say, these remakes are at least giving new life to the originals in spiffy, new SE DVDs. I too, hope that the original MBV comes in the uncut version but we'll see. Love them Canadian slasher films!

Kimberly said...

I wonder what the never seen before footage is like. What they cut in the early 80s might not be as shocking now..