Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Coming in February

I’m going to mix things up here a little bit at Moon in the Gutter in February and I hope the month long change proves enjoyable. With just a few exceptions, my favorite posts here since beginning this venture a couple of years back have been the ones focusing on films that have slipped through the cracks for one reason or the other. So throughout the month of February I will be having a Missing in Action on Region 1 DVD blowout. Be on the lookout for posts on a variety of films ranging from art-house classics, rare exploitation films to mainstream American works that for whatever reason have all still failed to secure an American DVD release. Many of the films I will be covering have also failed to secure any sort DVD release so hopefully my worldwide readers will stay interested as well. I will try and stay away from films (like The Magnificent Ambersons) that have been high on most film fans want lists and will instead focus on more forgotten or obscure works, but I will be posting on a few sorely missing titles (like Ken Russell’s The Devils) whose absences have already been greatly lamented.

Also I would like to extend an invite to all of my blogging buddies reading to salute their own favorite missing in action title (or titles) sometime in February as well. Send me the link to your post if you choose to do one and I will create a special side panel here throughout the month to link back to it. Give Moon in the Gutter a shout out as well if you choose to join in.

I hope the month proves enjoyable and I am looking forward to getting it going next week as the new month begins.


Ed Howard said...

Wow what a great idea. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I'll be sure to participate as well, maybe with some Rivette.

Brandon Colvin said...

We've got some Forgotten VHS entries that you can link to over at Out 1!

Jeremy Richey said...

Great Ed! Thanks so much. I do hope you will send me a link to post. I am goiung to do at least one Rivette as well.

Thanks Brandon,
I love that series and will link to it. Hope you all can do a fresh in Feb. as well.

Nigel M said...

Great idea but so many films I love spring to mind- Last Shark/L'.
Ultimo squalo for example has been crying out for a release, Endgame - Bronx lotta finale too. Fans of Italian genre film have possibly been better served than fans of many other genres and regions, especially from american indies and labels such as Raro, but for every title that introduces us to the work of a director it opens a whole avenue of hitherto neglected dvd releases - much of this stuff is knocking round in the dvd r vhs rip market though= Thunder Warrior anyone? Gator Bait! Day Of The Wolves!

Great idea but February is a short month and the overlooked films so many.

Tara said...

Hi Jeremy, I've tagged you for my 'blog award meme' - hope all's well with you...

Keith said...

Hey Jeremy. Wow! I think that sounds really awesome. It's a fantastic idea. I can't wait to see the films you cover on the blog.

Ned Merrill said...

Great idea, Jeremy. I'd love to participate. It's one of the main themes of my lifelong love of film--the forgotten, the unknown, the under-appreciated. Sort of what I try to do at my fledgling little blog. My latest entry, for THE GRAVY TRAIN/THE DION BROTHERS, fits into your criteria, and there are plenty more where that came from.

Samuel Wilson said...

I'm definitely looking forward to next month, and there are already titles like Crazy Joe and This Day And Age rattling in my own head. Do those titles mean anything to anyone? I guess that's the point of the project. Jeremy, I'm glad you thought of it.

Kotto said...

does the criteria limit us to films that aren't on dvd yet? if not, i've got a few: larry cohen's Bone, Truck Turner,Spook Who Sat By The Door, Monte Hellman's Cockfighter (with one of my faves: Warren Oates).

Kuraz wrote a few good ones as well: D'Antoni'sThe Seven Ups and Zulawski'sPossession.

on another tangent, jeremy - i watched your film tribute to W.O. good stuff, great song. have you heard the agua de annique cover version? it's not as haunting as beecher's version, but it's worthy

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks everyone,
I'm glad to see that there is some interest in this. I can't wait to start posting links to your own choices.

There are so many titles that I hope this proves succesful and I will make it a regular thing. By the way, one of the titles you mentioned is on my list to do. I'll let you be surprised and hope you enjoy my look at it.

Thanks so much Tara, that is really nice and I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Keith,
I am counting on you paying tribute to one of Dean's films not on DVD. Hope you enjoy the month...

Thanks Ned,
I love the titles you pay tribute to and look forward to watch you come up with.

Thanks Samuel,
I haven't seen either of those which is exactly what I hope comes out of this. I am looking to be introduced to new titles as well which is why I am hoping some other blogs will participate.

Thanks Kotto,
Great pieces you mentioned there but ideally this will focus on films not on Region 1 DVD at this time. Now out of print titles might work, is Cockfighter (great film by the way) still in print?

Also, thanks so much for the comments on my little Warren film. I haven't heard that cover but man I love that song.

Nigel M said...

I hope its Day Of The Wolves! Cos on my list there its the most neglected of the lot and such great fun :)

olmer said...

I did not know this jack nicholson film. it looks amazing!!!
if you can make those films in dvd, whatever region code:
"King, queen, knave" Skolimowski
"Identficazione di una dona" antonioni


Nigel M said...

Okay I'll play too. Altering blog schedule for February to have a go at this.

Goofball said...

I would love to do one on Coonskin

Kotto said...

i'd love to write a post on deadhead miles but i haven't seen it since i was a kid. loved it back then even though it was probably way over my head. anyone know where i could get a copy? of note, terry malick wrote the screenplay.

Steve Langton said...

Great idea, Jeremy, and cheers for letting us take part. Here's a link to my won choice http://wwwthelastpictureshow.blogspot.com/2009/02/films-mia-on-dvd-ref-moon-in-gutter.html

Given your venture a couple of links on my blog, and I'll link to your site on Twitter this evening.

Joshua said...

Great concept, it's hard not to get caught up blogging-wise in films that have already been thoroughly covered. I'm definitely going to have to try my hand at this in a week or so.