Sunday, March 29, 2009

Melody Nelson Finally Lands in the States


Just a quick note to let everyone know that Serge Gainsbourg's 1971 masterpiece Histoire De Melody Nelson has finally been granted a United States release courtesy of Light in the Attic Records. This mesmerizing collaboration with arranger Jean-Claude Vannier and muse Jane Birkin is one of my top ten albums of all time and all the superlatives that have been thrown at it (monumental, mind-blowing etc) don't even come close to doing it justice. It's jaw-dropping and I am thrilled it is finally getting a proper release in the states. Click here for information on this important reissue.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Oh God, it was never officially released in the US?

Masterpiece, for sure.

Jacob Shoaf said...

I snagged a copy, but my not knowing French might prove to be something of a hindrance.

olmer said...

if you love this french masterpiece, you will love the film made by the video poet Jean Christophe Averty:
http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xp851_eccefemina_gainsbourg

Planet Mondo said...

It's a killer album - I've included a few tracks from it (and other Serge nuggets) in postings and mixes on my blog.

Keith said...

That's great news. I'll definitely have to get my hands on that.