Friday, March 6, 2009

Michelle Pfeiffer on The Tonight Show: September, 1980


I had never really thought of it before, but I think Moon in the Gutter sort of got its start when I was 15 or so when I started obsessively collecting Michelle Pfeiffer clippings for a scrapbook that ended up stretching into an epic several volume set between 1987 and 1994. I had had a sort of scrapbook as a kid but never had I been so diligent or organized about it...it was my own little DIY fanzine as is Moon in the Gutter. Anyway, I also collected video clips of the few interviews she would give but I just recently came across this one, Michelle with Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show all the way back in 1980 promoting Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen.
This is a fascinating little clip. Sammy Davis Jr. can be seen (stumbling around a bit at one point) and Shelly Winters is there (as annoying and irritating as usual) as well. Carson is clearly impressed with Pfeiffer, who hasn't quite found her footing yet. Keep mind that this is nearly three years before her break out role in De Palma's Scarface, and a full five years before she really came into her own in John Landis' Into The Night.
Anyway, the clip's incredible and I was rather stunned to find it. Thanks to the gloriously dedicated Pfeiffer the Face for posting it and keeping the dream alive.

5 comments:

Cinebeats said...

I enjoyed reading about your scrapbook memories, Jeremy!

You brought back some memories for me. In the early '80s I started a "Matt Dillon Scrapbook" of my own since I developed a HUGE crush on him after seeing Over the Edge and Little Darlings. I kept it up to date until Rumble Fish and then I'm not sure what happened to it. I ended up stuck in home for runaway teens in'84 and I suspect my mom just tossed it out, but it might be tucked away in a box somewhere in the family storage unit. I just started cleaning it out recently and I've discovered some great mementos from my childhood so the Matt Dillon scrapbook could still surface.

Ned Merrill said...

Love it! I'm impressed with how good the quality of the tape is. She was truly stunning from the beginning.

Flickhead said...

Excellent clip. Notice how relaxed the Carson show was in comparison to Leno and Letterman.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly for the personal memories. Isn't opening a box of childhood memories an incredibly bittersweet experience? I do hope you find your scrapbook eventually, I am so glad I have managed to not lose my Pfeiffer ones. Thanks again for the comments...it's always a pleasure.

Ned,
Thanks...yea, isn't the quality great. Why can't we have a station dedicated to variety shows of the past?

Flickhead,
I love how loose the Carson shows were. Sammy casually walking back to his chair after the commercial break is priceless.

Paul S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.