Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Poster for Almodovar's Broken Embraces


Two things always guaranteed to excite me are a new Almodovar film and an out of sight poster. Here's one of the colorful and quite eye popping designs for Pedro's newest which comes out later this year. Sort of related, I didn't bother saying much about the Oscars this year but my favorite moment (along with Sean Penn's shout out to Mickey Rourke and the incredibly genuine look on Anne Hathaway's face while Shirley Maclaine presented her nomination) was when Penelope Cruz went out of her way to mention both Almodovar and Bigas Luna in her speech...a very classy and sincere move by a really fine actress whose never forgotten the film community she came from. I can't wait to see her newest collaboration with one of my favorite directors.

5 comments:

Ibetolis said...

Great poster.

I noted Cruz's speech at the Oscars as well; really humble and gratifying to see.

I can't wait for the new film either, anything by Almodovar is always a treat.

Kotto said...

i don't think it's a stretch to say that in the last 25 years, almodovar has been the most consistently interesting filmmaker in the world...along with herzog.

James Hansen said...

Don't shout heresy too loudly, but I'm pretty over Almodovar. He's just fallen too deeply into his own kitsch for his movies to be very affecting anymore. Even when he gets solid, sincere performances (a la Penelope in VOLVER) the works fold under their utter self-consciousness. I like/love a lot of Almodovar, but he just hasn't been interesting to me since TALK TO HER. I'm sure I'll still see this, but I'm not quite as excited as lots of people. Alas...I'll hope for the best.

The Green Shroud said...

I absolutely loved Volver, and am really looking forward to this!

Keith said...

That's a great poster. I love Penelope. I was so thrilled she won. She's a gorgeous and talented woman.