Saturday, March 14, 2009

Salvatore Samperi R.I.P.

It has come to my attention that Salvatore Samperi, one of Italy's most interesting filmmakers to come out of the late sixties and early seventies, sadly passed away at the age of 64 earlier this month. While not as well known in America as many of his peers, Samperi made an impressive contribution to Italian cinema that shouldn't be overlooked.

A short if nice overview on Samperi's career can be found here for those interested. My own look at my favorite Samperi film, 1973's Malicious starring the remarkable Laura Antonelli, can be found here. Several of Samperi's finest films were made with Antonelli, including the last he released in his lifetime, 1991's Malizia 2000.

His IMDB listing has a 2009 production listed for the late filmmaker entitled Estrenando SueƱos, a work pairing the wonderful team of Claudia Cardinale and Giancarlo Giannini. I hope the film gets a proper release as Salvatore Samperi was a fascinating and often undervalued filmmaker. His work is deserving of a larger audience. I was saddened to hear of his passing.

No comments: