Thursday, April 9, 2009

Unseen Director's Cut of Combat Shock Coming in July


One of the most interesting releases of the year promises to be Troma's upcoming archival double-disc reissue of Buddy Giovinazzo's gruelling and quite unforgettable Combat Shock (1986). The fully loaded special edition set will include new interviews, a commentary track, a 40 minute documentary (featuring fellow directors William Lustig and John McNaughton among others praising and discussing the film), a modern look at the NYC locations of the film, plus the short Giovinazzo film Mr Robbie starring Joe Spinell. The real jewel of the set though is American Nightmares, the previously unreleased director's cut of the film which adds ten minutes to the running time. Troma has some splendid archival releases on the way this year, with the ferocious and undervalued Combat Shock being one of the best. The set will only be available for a limited time so fans of confrontational and uncompromising cinema should mark their calendars.

3 comments:

Amanda By Night said...

I knew Buddy for a brief period of time. Awesome guy. He gave me a copy of Combat Shock and told me stories about Joe Spinell and Maniac 2... I'm glad this is coming out in this special version with all the bells and whistles. It's about time.

Btw, if you get a chance to read Buddy's novels, they're amazing.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Amanda for the great comments...That is extremely cool you got to know him. I wish someone would share stories about Joe Spinell with me! Also, I will check out Buddy's novels as I have not read them. Thanks again...

Will Errickson said...

One of the Fangoria conventions I attended in the early '90s screened this. My girlfriend and I only caught the final gripping, horrifying moments. Whew. We were galvanized. A month or so later we watched the whole thing. Good exploitation movie, but nothing can compare to innocently walking into a little screening room and being blown away by that climax.