Saturday, May 9, 2009

Elisabeth Shue on Leaving Las Vegas (A Moon in the Gutter Video Upload)



Some things just take me back, like the weather reports that are flashing on the screen during this interview with Elisabeth Shue from almost fifteen years ago...All these years since I first fell in love with it, I continue to find solace in Mike Figgis' extraordinary Leaving Las Vegas, a film that for several years helped pull me out of one spiritual crisis after another.
My favorite part of the film continues to be Elisabeth's Shue's soul searing performance as Sera, a role that she should have an Oscar for. Rewatching this charming interview with Shue I am struck by how she belongs to a group of actors ranging from Zoe Tamerlis to Irene Jacob who weren't given the proper roles after life altering performances. It's borderline tragic but, regardless of whether Elisabeth Shue ever gets another role completely worthy of her, I will always be grateful for her turn as Sera in Leaving Las Vegas. It scarred me the way few others have, and it'll never leave me. I'm really glad I was able to hold onto this clip...

2 comments:

Tim Lucas said...

She's one of America's most exceptional actresses, but I'm not sure that her scarcity of interesting roles is entirely due to Hollywood, as she has focused on marriage, raising a family and returning to education at Harvard. She's obviously smarter than the average bare actress. I agree her post LEAVING LAS VEGAS roles have been unworthy of her talent, but check out the earlier RADIO INSIDE for another fine performance.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Tim,
I'm so thrilled to hear these comments from you. I agree with your thoughts here obviously, and yes Radio Inside is a really overlooked work.
Also, re-reading this I think it came across as though I was saying she hadn't done any quality work since, which I didn't mean at all. I love The Trigger Effect particularly, plus her work in the television film Amy and Isabelle was incredible...
Anyway, I always appreciate your comments and these were particularly great to read. Thanks!